What's the difference? "Types" of Algebra, etc

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between various mathematical subjects such as Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Synthetic Geometry, and Analytic Geometry. The expert summarizer explains that Algebra is commonly understood as solving equations and simplifying expressions, while Abstract Algebra deals with more abstract objects and operations. Synthetic Geometry involves axioms and constructions without coordinates, while Analytic Geometry involves computations with coordinates. The expert also mentions that these distinctions are not always strict and the most important aspect is whether the content meets the needs of the individual.
DS2C
In my goal to self study up to Calculus, I've utilized the very useful Insights page on what books are best for a real intuitive understanding in basic high school mathematics such as Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry. I purchased all the recommended books and I was wondering what some of the differences are between some of the "subjects".

To cut to the chase, what's the difference between:
1. Algebra and Abstract Algebra
2. Synthetic Geometry and Analytic Geometry

I searched around but really all I could find was problems and books for them. I'm really just looking for a quick idea of what their differences are in a quick simple manner ie "Synthetic Geometry is about abc and Analytic Geometry is about xyz."

Thank you for any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
DS2C said:
In my goal to self study up to Calculus, I've utilized the very useful Insights page on what books are best for a real intuitive understanding in basic high school mathematics such as Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry. I purchased all the recommended books and I was wondering what some of the differences are between some of the "subjects".

To cut to the chase, what's the difference between:
1. Algebra and Abstract Algebra
2. Synthetic Geometry and Analytic Geometry

I searched around but really all I could find was problems and books for them. I'm really just looking for a quick idea of what their differences are in a quick simple manner ie "Synthetic Geometry is about abc and Analytic Geometry is about xyz."

Thank you for any help.
Not sure that I know the difference between algebra and abstract algebra. Perhaps the former is how to deal with equations of any kind, as if someone says "do the algebra". To me there is no difference.

For short: synthetic geometry is without coordinates, i.e. only with axioms like "two points define a straight", and analytic geometry is with coordinates.

You'll find a bit more text here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_geometry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analytic_geometry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_algebra

Likes DS2C
Thank you for your response that was quick. After reading a bit of those articles I am still entirely confused as the terms it uses to describe the terms still make no sense to me! Kind if ridiculous hah. I guess I just need to start reading the books from square one and fill in the blanks.

(Abstract) Algebra is about theories of groups and fields and some ring theory, too. It rather splits in linear algebra (vector spaces), commutative algebra (commutative rings) and algebra (the rest) in general.

Synthetic geometry is by compass and ruler, analytic means computational. But the classification isn't a strict one, and to be honest, not important either. Important is whether your needs will be covered or not.

Likes DS2C
Thank you. The Geometry makes more sense now but I now think that no matter how the Algebra is described I will be clueless until I just read the books. I don't know what a single word you said regarding Algebra meant lol.

DS2C said:
Thank you. The Geometry makes more sense now but I now think that no matter how the Algebra is described I will be clueless until I just read the books. I don't know what a single word you said regarding Algebra meant lol.
At a simple level, abstract algebra is where you stop talking about numbers and start talking about abstract objects and operations.

For instance, you write down ##a+b=b+a##, without requiring that a and b denote numbers. Maybe they are "rock", "paper" and "scissors" and addition is given by the table:
Code:
 +         rock     paper    scissors
           --------------------------
rock      |rock     paper    scissors
paper     |paper    scissors rock
scissors  |scissors rock     paper

The set {rock, paper, scissors} together with the "+" operation defined above form a "commutative group".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(mathematics)#Definition

In the US among the general population, "algebra" commonly refers to a middle-to-high school level math course that deals with solving polynomial equations, simplifying expressions, etc. Sometimes there's a series (Algebra I, Algebra II) where algebra I refers to simple aspects of solving equations with unknowns and algebra II provides an introduction to things like vectors and matrices.

On the other hand, "abstract algebra" is typically just called algebra by research mathematicians. It refers to examination of mathematical structures (groups, rings, fields, etc.) and the relations between them. It's called abstract algebra to distinguish it from the more common non-mathematicians' notion of algebra.

Edit: Just to be clear, in the US, you don't really see any abstract algebra being taught in high school (higher-level high school math generally focuses on calculus instead). It's more commonly first encountered by math majors in early- to mid-level undergraduate studies.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
At a simple level, abstract algebra is where you stop talking about numbers and start talking about abstract objects and operations.

For instance, you write down ##a+b=b+a##, without requiring that a and b denote numbers. Maybe they are "rock", "paper" and "scissors" and addition is given by the table:
Code:
 +         rock     paper    scissors
           --------------------------
rock      |rock     paper    scissors
paper     |paper    scissors rock
scissors  |scissors rock     paper

The set {rock, paper, scissors} together with the "+" operation defined above form a "commutative group".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(mathematics)#Definition

TeethWhitener said:
In the US among the general population, "algebra" commonly refers to a middle-to-high school level math course that deals with solving polynomial equations, simplifying expressions, etc. Sometimes there's a series (Algebra I, Algebra II) where algebra I refers to simple aspects of solving equations with unknowns and algebra II provides an introduction to things like vectors and matrices.

On the other hand, "abstract algebra" is typically just called algebra by research mathematicians. It refers to examination of mathematical structures (groups, rings, fields, etc.) and the relations between them. It's called abstract algebra to distinguish it from the more common non-mathematicians' notion of algebra.

Edit: Just to be clear, in the US, you don't really see any abstract algebra being taught in high school (higher-level high school math generally focuses on calculus instead). It's more commonly first encountered by math majors in early- to mid-level undergraduate studies.

Thanks guys that was actually very helpful. Definitely clears thing up a bit.

1. What is the difference between algebra and geometry?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations. Geometry, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of shapes and figures.

2. What are the different types of algebra?

There are several types of algebra, including elementary algebra, linear algebra, abstract algebra, and Boolean algebra. Elementary algebra deals with basic operations and equations, while linear algebra focuses on systems of linear equations and matrices. Abstract algebra deals with more complex mathematical structures, and Boolean algebra deals with logic and the manipulation of logical statements.

3. What is the difference between algebraic expressions and equations?

An algebraic expression is a combination of numbers, variables, and mathematical operations, while an equation is a statement that shows the equality of two expressions. In other words, an equation is a type of algebraic expression that sets two expressions equal to each other.

4. What is the difference between algebraic equations and inequalities?

Algebraic equations contain an equal sign and are used to find the value of a variable, while inequalities contain a less than or greater than sign and are used to show a range of possible values for a variable.

5. How is trigonometry related to algebra?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is closely related to algebra, as many trigonometric equations involve solving for unknown variables using algebraic methods.