What's the thermal energy of a helium atom?

In summary, the conversation discusses a formula for kinetic energy and its application to monatomic gases. The formula is "E=1/2mv^2" and the average kinetic energy for a monatomic gas at a temperature T is "KE=3/2kT". The conversation also mentions a question about the typical thermal energy of a hydrogen atom, but the actual question is about the velocity of a helium atom in the photosphere of a star. The response suggests determining the temperature and applying the relationship between temperature and velocity to answer the question.
JoAstro
I have this formula "E= 1/2 mv^2" which I don't fully understand. Also, I don't have the values for helium's mass and velocity.

Science news on Phys.org
JoAstro said:
I have this formula "E= 1/2 mv^2" which I don't fully understand. Also, I don't have the values for helium's mass and velocity.
Welcome to PF JoAstro!

It is not clear what your question is. Individual atoms do not have a temperature. But large numbers of atoms can have a temperature. Is the question you are trying to answer: what is the average kinetic energy of a helium atom in a volume of helium gas that is at a particular temperature?

The kinetic energy of a body of mass m moving at speed v is ##KE = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##. And the average kinetic energy of the atoms of a monatomic gas at a temperature T is: ##<KE> = \frac{3}{2}kT##

Does that help you?

AM

Hi Andrew. Thank you!

I'm not sure about what you say, but I just noticed that I misread the question thinking it was another. The real question was meant for hydrogen which said "What is the typical thermal energy of a hydrogen atom?" However, the question I meant to ask was "What is the velocity of a helium atom in the photosphere of a star?"

I'm sorry about the confusion!

Thanks again.

First you need to detrmine the temperature. Then apply the relationship between T and v.

AM

1. What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is the total kinetic energy of all the particles in a substance. It is a form of energy that is related to the temperature of a substance.

2. How is the thermal energy of a helium atom calculated?

The thermal energy of a helium atom can be calculated using the equation E = 3/2 kT, where E is the thermal energy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. Is the thermal energy of a helium atom constant?

No, the thermal energy of a helium atom can vary depending on the temperature of the substance it is in. As the temperature increases, the thermal energy also increases.

4. What is the thermal energy of a single helium atom?

The thermal energy of a single helium atom cannot be measured as it is a microscopic property. However, it can be calculated by dividing the thermal energy of a substance by the number of particles in that substance.

5. How does the thermal energy of a helium atom differ from its internal energy?

The thermal energy of a helium atom is a type of internal energy, specifically the kinetic energy of the atom. However, the internal energy of an atom also includes potential energy, such as the energy associated with the bonds between atoms.