What's wrong with my algebraic expression?

• Thread starter Terrell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary: According to your first post, when p = 350, the demand d will be 200. And when the price is decreased by $10, the demand is forecast to be 220.Assuming that demand is a linear function of price, you should be able to write the demand function from that information.
Terrell
Mentor note: moved to homework forum

A store has been selling 200 DVD burners a week at $350 each. A market survey indicates that for each $10 rebate offered to buyers, the number of units sold will increase by 20 a week. Find the demand function and the revenue function. How large a rebate should the store offer to maximize its revenue?

my expression: R(x) = ($350-$10x)(200+20x)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:
A store has been selling 200 DVD burners a week at $350 each. A market survey indicates that for each $10 rebate offered to buyers, the number of units sold will increase by 20 a week. Find the demand function and the revenue function. How large a rebate should the store offer to maximize its revenue?

What did you get for the demand function?

Mark44 said:
What did you get for the demand function?
according to my textbook, demand function is also the price function... so i think that should be the ($350-$10x) part of the expression...?

Terrell said:
according to my textbook, demand function is also the price function...
I think you might be misinterpreting what the book is saying. Price and demand are two different things. Usually the demand is written as a function of the price, p.

According to your first post, when p = 350, the demand d will be 200. And when the price is decreased by $10, the demand is forecast to be 220.
Assuming that demand is a linear function of price, you should be able to write the demand function from that information.
Terrell said:
so i think that should be the ($350-$10x) part of the expression...?

Terrell said:
Mentor note: moved to homework forum

Why do you think your expression is wrong? Aside from failing to define what you mean by 'x', it looks OK to me, provided that you are extra careful about what 'x' actually means.

Now: what about the rest of the problem?

Last edited:

What is an algebraic expression?

An algebraic expression is a mathematical expression that contains variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It may also include exponents and parentheses.

How do I simplify an algebraic expression?

To simplify an algebraic expression, you need to combine like terms by adding or subtracting them. You can also use the distributive property to remove parentheses, and combine any constants. The goal is to have the expression in its simplest form.

What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra follows the acronym PEMDAS: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This means that you need to solve operations within parentheses first, then exponents, followed by multiplication and division, and finally addition and subtraction.

How do I solve for a variable in an algebraic expression?

To solve for a variable in an algebraic expression, you need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. This can be done by using inverse operations, such as adding or subtracting the same value on both sides, or using the distributive property. Once the variable is isolated, you can solve for its value.

What common mistakes should I avoid when simplifying algebraic expressions?

Some common mistakes when simplifying algebraic expressions include not following the order of operations, forgetting to distribute a negative sign, and not combining like terms properly. It is also important to be careful with signs and keeping track of which terms are positive and negative. Checking your work and practicing can help avoid these mistakes.