What's your career/life advice for a fresher entering industry?

• Job Skills
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary: Do not be the person who will only work when it is proven by others that you have more to contribute than just working. Instead, be a team player and help out until the task is complete.
shivajikobardan
Pardon me if I can't ask this question here. Kindly delete it.
I am a computer engineering graduate and I am entering industry for the first time. It's more of an internship.
Fresher means a fresh graduate.
What are the things that I should keep in mind.
About myself, I am very Ingenuous/honest/innocent as well as introverted. I'm wondering if that'll seriously hamper my career.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never underestimate the human factor!

Even a logically correct decision can damage you if you ignore the human factor. A sailor, at least he proclaimed to be one, once told me when I was a child: "Look out for sharks!"

Likes russ_watters
Behaviors that work in an academic environment are not necessarily advantageous in industry. Learn the culture.

Be solution, not criticism, focused. Everyone can see the problems.

Likes russ_watters and Hyperfine
shivajikobardan said:
I am very Ingenuous/honest/innocent as well as introverted. I'm wondering if that'll seriously hamper my career.
Introversion is not necessarily something that will hamper your career. However, it is something that you need to be aware of about yourself and be vigilant.

You need to interact well with people. Introversion means that you will always be tired afterward, but it does not mean that you are fundamentally unable to interact well with others. Push yourself out of your comfort zone at work while interacting with others. Then just rest well at home.

Likes SparkBird, russ_watters, hutchphd and 2 others
shivajikobardan said:
About myself, I am very Ingenuous/honest/innocent as well as introverted. I'm wondering if that'll seriously hamper my career.
"Ingenious" - not hamper
"honest" - mostly not hamper; better to be this than not at least MOST of the time
"innocent" - maybe hamper. You may need advice from reliable people in industry for specific on-the-grain situations.
"as well as introverted" - not hamper, depending on the general culture of your co-employees (or team).

About your being introverted: Are you either or both of Task-Oriented or People-Oriented?

Always keep in mind that whatever you think your "job" is, such as writing code, the company does not fundamentally pay you to do THAT, what they really pay you to do is to add value to the company. Focus on that as you do your "job", whatever it is.

Last edited:
Likes SparkBird, FactChecker, russ_watters and 5 others
shivajikobardan said:
Pardon me if I can't ask this question here. Kindly delete it.
I am a computer engineering graduate and I am entering industry for the first time. It's more of an internship.
Fresher means a fresh graduate.
What are the things that I should keep in mind.
Another way to think of this:
Who runs the company? Accountants? Salespeople? Engineers?
The answer could tell you how you will fit with the people and with the job.

If the 'engineers' run the company, then you may need to be very competent, and you best to not try to fake this. On another hand, you may just need to be minimally competent, but still again, do not try to fake this.

I missed remembering that part, "more of an internship". If this is a position or situation with a business or company, I say yet the same as I wrote.

my job is customer support engineer.

should I create different user account in my machine for office work? They work in linux.

shivajikobardan said:
should I create different user account in my machine for office work? They work in linux.
No, it is preferable to use the same PF account from any device you use

I think he means creating a separate login account on his home computer, in order to keep work-related files separate from personal files. A "customer support engineer" may well be working mostly from home.

Likes shivajikobardan
The company should be providing a laptop to use for work.

russ_watters said:
The company should be providing a laptop to use for work.
Yes they provided laptop for use for work.

shivajikobardan said:
Yes they provided laptop for use for work.
Then I don't understand your prior question. Different login account(s) for what?
[Edit]
Actually, the real answer doesn't depend on the follow-up: you should not be making such modifications to your work laptop.

Likes Vanadium 50 and phinds
russ_watters said:
Then I don't understand your prior question. Different login account(s) for what?
[Edit]
Actually, the real answer doesn't depend on the follow-up: you should not be making such modifications to your work laptop.
Now no problem. I didn't know it earlier.

Likes russ_watters
Work computer is for work, and personal laptop is for personal use. Mixing the two seldome ends well.

Likes DeBangis21 and russ_watters
Vanadium 50 said:
Work computer is for work, and personal laptop is for personal use. Mixing the two seldome ends well.

I really found this out when I was preparing to retire. 20 years of treating the company laptop as my own. D'oh.

Likes russ_watters and Vanadium 50
Be a team player. Do your job well and then keep helping until the task is complete. Do not be the person who will only work when it is proven by others that you have more to do.

Likes DeBangis21, russ_watters and symbolipoint
FactChecker said:
Be a team player. Do your job well and then keep helping until the task is complete. Do not be the person who will only work when it is proven by others that you have more to do.
I actually followed according to those guidelines for an as-planned medium term job, and the team and chief liked the effort but directly discouraged me from continuing onward that way because of some labor regulations. I prefer to not discuss the details more finely.

Likes FactChecker
symbolipoint said:
I actually followed according to those guidelines for an as-planned medium term job, and the team and chief liked the effort but directly discouraged me from continuing onward that way because of some labor regulations. I prefer to not discuss the details more finely.
Good point. Union rules are another thing. I am referring more to the non-union, engineering environment.

Likes russ_watters
FactChecker said:
Good point. Union rules are another thing. I am referring more to the non-union, engineering environment.
Continuing that point, the presence of unionization may have been part of the reason that I was given instructions discouraging me to work beyond a certain limit. I said "labor" but I should have been more general and said "work tasks".

1. What skills should a fresher focus on developing to succeed in the industry?

As a fresher entering the industry, it is important to focus on developing both technical and soft skills. Technical skills in your field of study are essential for performing your job duties effectively. Additionally, soft skills such as communication, problem-solving, and teamwork are highly valued by employers and can help you stand out in the industry.

2. How can a fresher make the most out of their first job experience?

To make the most out of your first job experience, it is important to be open-minded and willing to learn. Ask questions, take on new challenges, and seek feedback from your colleagues and superiors. Additionally, network with your colleagues and build relationships within the industry. This can open up opportunities for growth and advancement in your career.

3. What advice do you have for a fresher on finding the right career path?

My advice for a fresher on finding the right career path is to explore different options and industries, and see what interests you the most. Take internships or part-time jobs in different fields to gain experience and see which one you enjoy the most. It is also important to consider your strengths, values, and long-term goals when choosing a career path.

4. How can a fresher stay motivated and determined in the face of challenges?

Challenges are inevitable in any career, but it is important for a fresher to stay motivated and determined. Set realistic goals for yourself and celebrate your achievements along the way. Seek support from your mentors and colleagues, and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Remember to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

5. What is the most important piece of advice you would give to a fresher entering the industry?

The most important piece of advice I would give to a fresher entering the industry is to never stop learning. The industry is constantly evolving, and it is crucial to stay updated on the latest trends and technologies. Be curious, seek out opportunities for growth, and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. Continuous learning and development will help you succeed in your career in the long run.