Wheels, car and friction concepts

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of rotational motion, specifically in relation to cars and turns. The role of friction in a car's movement and turning is explored, along with the idea of centripetal force and how it is caused by other forces such as friction. The conversation ends with a request for further explanation and understanding.
**Mariam**
Hello, I am a high school student and I am studying about rotational motion this term. However, I am having a bit of trouble understanding some concepts about this idea; specifically about cars and turns.

First of all before talking about cars turning corners and the forces there, I don't even think I understand how a car moves. I know that it uses friction, but the idea is unclear. Is it related to Newton's third law, the car pushes on the road and the road pushes back, but where does friction come in play here?

The second part of my question is related to cars when the turn around a curve. I've had a couple of problem solving about these types of questions and I was able to solve them because they are simply about finding the unknowns and using kinematics equations and Newton's 2nd law. However, I don't understand again how friction plays a part in this. We took in class that centripetal force isn't actually a force, so other forces cause it. Like normal, gravity, friction... In the case of the car it is friction, but why and how?

I've been searching for this for over a week now and although I found many detailed answers nothing really made me understand it yet :( , and I feel i am won't understand the lesson unless I can understand this part.
So thanks a lot for anyone who will take the time to explain this puzzling dilemma to me. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
**Mariam** said:
the car pushes on the road and the road pushes back, but where does friction come in play here?
The pushing is via friction

**Mariam** said:
We took in class that centripetal force isn't actually a force, so other forces cause it. Like normal, gravity, friction... In the case of the car it is friction, but why and how?
There are many threads on this. Search for "friction turning car" or similar.

-Try to roll back with your hand over the other free hand feel the friction between your hands the roll hand pushes your free hand backward , if you add some oil on your free hand and repeat the experiment your roll hand won't be able to push the free hand backward)- Consider a rolling wheel the rolling wheel is now directed to certain angel via steering mechanism again the wheel try to push the ground backward but this time with a certain angle , a force will developed at this certain angle , resolving this force to the straight and side directions you will get the forces moving the wheel in forward and side directions. ( in vehicle dynamics they treat the subject more advanced ) but this is a good start to get it .

1. What is the purpose of wheels on a car?

The wheels on a car serve two main purposes: to support the weight of the vehicle and to allow it to move smoothly along the ground. The circular shape of the wheels helps to distribute the weight evenly and reduce friction, making it easier for the car to move.

2. How does friction affect the performance of a car?

Friction is the force that resists motion when two surfaces come into contact with each other. In the context of a car, friction can affect its performance in several ways. Too much friction can cause the car to use more fuel and have slower acceleration. However, a certain amount of friction is necessary for the tires to grip the road and provide traction.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that resists the initial motion between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other. Kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the force that resists the continued motion between two surfaces that are already in motion. In the context of a car, static friction is important for starting the car and kinetic friction helps to keep the car moving.

4. How can friction be reduced in a car?

Friction can be reduced in a car by using smooth and high-quality materials for the tires and other moving parts. Keeping the tires properly inflated and using a good lubricant can also help to reduce friction. Additionally, driving at a steady speed and avoiding sudden accelerations and stops can also decrease friction.

5. What is the role of wheels in creating friction?

Wheels play a crucial role in creating friction for a car. As the wheels rotate, they create friction with the road surface, which helps to provide traction and allows the car to move forward. The design of the wheels, including their size, shape, and tread pattern, can also affect the amount of friction they create and therefore impact the car's performance.