When can we have perpetual motion?

In summary, according to Feynman, it is possible to have perpetual motion ideally, but it may not be true in practice. This topic is often banned because it attracts crackpots.
iVenky
I was reading Feynman's lectures Vol I. There he says it is possible to have perpetual motion ideally. Considering everything is ideal what is the condition to have perpetual motion? For example if you take a weighing machine, is it possible to have perpetual motion for all weights on both panes or only for those for which the weighing machine balances?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
He most certainly does not mean we can have "perpetual motion" in the usual sense of the word (which is a banned topic here) - a machine that continually produces energy.

Vanadium 50 said:
He most certainly does not mean we can have "perpetual motion" in the usual sense of the word (which is a banned topic here) - a machine that continually produces energy.

Ya I know that it's not possible and it's just for imagination purposes only. He even states on one sentence that balanced objects means perpetual motion. Does that perpetual motion is possible only for balanced weighing machines?

Just for curiosity why is this topic (perpetual motion) banned?

Thanks

iVenky said:
I was reading Feynman's lectures Vol I. There he says it is possible to have perpetual motion ideally.
What's the exact reference?

A few quotes from Feynman's Lectures Vol. I
Those quotes are from chapter 4-2 - "Gravitational potential energy"

Consider weight-lifting machines—machines which have the property that
they lift one weight by lowering another. Let us also make a hypothesis: that
there is no such thing as perpetual motion with these weight-lifting machines.
(In fact, that there is no perpetual motion at all is a general statement of the law
of conservation of energy.) We must be careful to define perpetual motion.
First, let us do it for weight-lifting machines. If, when we have lifted and lowered
a lot of weights and restored the machine to the original condition, we find that
the net result is to have lifted a weight, then we have a perpetual motion machine
because we can use that lifted weight to run something else. That is, provided the
machine which lifted the weight is brought back to its exact original condition,
and furthermore that it is completely self-contained—that it has not received the
energy to lift that weight from some external source

It is a very beautiful line of reasoning. The only problem is that perhaps it is not
true. (After all, nature does not have to go along with our reasoning.) ,For example,
perhaps perpetual motion is, in fact, possible. Some of the assumptions may be
wrong, or we may have made a mistake in reasoning, so it is always necessary to
check. It turns out experimentally, in fact, to be true.

iVenky said:
Just for curiosity why is this topic (perpetual motion) banned?

Thanks

Because (i) there isn't one and (ii) such topics/discussions often attract crackpots.

Please review the PF Rules that you had agreed to for a complete list of banned topics.

Zz.

Related to When can we have perpetual motion?

1. What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion is a hypothetical concept in which a machine or system can continue to move or function indefinitely without any external energy input.

2. Is perpetual motion possible?

No, perpetual motion is not possible according to the laws of thermodynamics. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted. The second law states that in any energy transfer or conversion, some energy is lost as heat. Therefore, a machine cannot continue to operate indefinitely without an external energy source.

3. Why do some people claim to have achieved perpetual motion?

Some people may claim to have achieved perpetual motion due to misunderstandings or misinterpretations of scientific principles, or for fraudulent purposes.

4. Can perpetual motion be achieved in space?

No, perpetual motion is still not possible in space. While there may be less external forces acting on a system in space, the laws of thermodynamics still apply and an external energy source would still be needed for perpetual motion.

5. Are there any benefits to researching perpetual motion?

While perpetual motion itself is not possible, the research and development of machines and systems that are more efficient and use less energy can have practical applications and benefits in other areas of science and technology.