When does a Lipschitz condition fail for a DE?

In summary, the Lipschitz condition may fail for non-autonomous differential systems due to the existence of periodic orbits. This means that the uniqueness condition, which is crucial in differential equations, does not hold for non-autonomous systems. However, this does not mean that non-autonomous systems do not have unique solutions. The "Fundamental Existence and Uniqueness Theorem" still applies to these systems, as long as the function is continuous and Lipschitz in the variable y. In the case of non-autonomous systems, the Lipschitz condition can be explained by the existence of periodic orbits and the phase change in the solution, which leads to a unique solution curve. This uniqueness can also be mathematically expressed through the
marellasunny
could you give an example where the Lipschitz condition fails,like when there is a periodic forcing function?
I'm thinking the Lipschitz condition would fail for a non-autonomous differential system because period-2 orbits exist for 2D non-autonomous continuous dynamical systems,which means the uniqueness condition that the Lipschitz criterion so vehemently describes in DE does not hold for non-auto systems.

How does one explain this mathematically? Intuitively, I could say uniqueness of solution curve exists because of phase change due to the periodic forcing function. But,which theorem states this mathematically?

for example,take the non-autonomous differential system:
$$\frac{\mathrm{dx} }{\mathrm{d} t}=x^3 + aSin(\omega t)$$
$$|f(t,u)-f(t,v))|\leq L|u-v|$$
$$u^3 - aSin(\omega t)-v^3-aSin(\omega t)$$
$$|u^2+uv+v^2||u-v|\Rightarrow |u^2+uv+v^2|\leq L$$

Attachments

• junk2.jpg
    junk2.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you clear on what the "Lipschitz" condition is? It is a condition on functions, not differential equations: A function has the "Lipschitz" property, or "is Lipschitz", on interval [a, b] if and only if there exist a number, c, such that [itex]|f(x)- f(y)|\le c|x- y|[/itex] for all x and y in the interval.

The "Fundamental Existence and Uniqueness Theorem" for differential equations says that the if f(x,y) is continuous and is Lipschitz in y (x constant) in some neighborhood of [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex], then equation dy/dx= f(x, y), has a unique solution satisfying [itex]y(x_0)= y_0[/itex],

I don't know where you got the idea that "non-autonomous" equations do not hav unique solutions. That is certanly NOT true. Such equations have unique solutions in the same conditions as autonomous equations.

It is true that to apply the "existence and uniqueness" theorem to systems like dx/dt= f(x,y,t), dy/dt= g(x,y,t), you have to look at the equation
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{g(x,y,t)}{f(x,y,t)}[/tex]
so the theorem will not apply where f(x, y, t)= 0.

HallsofIvy said:
Are you clear on what the "Lipschitz" condition is? It is a condition on functions, not differential equations: A function has the "Lipschitz" property, or "is Lipschitz", on interval [a, b] if and only if there exist a number, c, such that [itex]|f(x)- f(y)|\le c|x- y|[/itex] for all x and y in the interval.

The "Fundamental Existence and Uniqueness Theorem" for differential equations says that the if f(x,y) is continuous and is Lipschitz in y (x constant) in some neighborhood of [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex], then equation dy/dx= f(x, y), has a unique solution satisfying [itex]y(x_0)= y_0[/itex],

I don't know where you got the idea that "non-autonomous" equations do not hav unique solutions. That is certanly NOT true. Such equations have unique solutions in the same conditions as autonomous equations.

It is true that to apply the "existence and uniqueness" theorem to systems like dx/dt= f(x,y,t), dy/dt= g(x,y,t), you have to look at the equation
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac{g(x,y,t)}{f(x,y,t)}[/tex]
so the theorem will not apply where f(x, y, t)= 0.

But HallsofIvy, in the diagram I have attached,I show a period-2 orbit in a 2D continuous phase space. Notice that the orbit loops onto itself. This kind-of orbit cannot exist in autonomous systems because there will be no uniqueness as time progresses. So,my question is whether such a orbit exists in non-autonomous systems? I can intuitively guess that they do exist in N.A systems because there will be a phase change in the solution and so one can say that the solution curve is unique when it loops onto itself. How can I explain this uniqueness in N.A systems using Lipschitz condition? I wrote an example of Lipschitz uniqueness for non-autonomous systems and the coefficient is bounded.Does this suggest something?

Related to When does a Lipschitz condition fail for a DE?

1. What is a Lipschitz condition in the context of differential equations?

The Lipschitz condition is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the behavior and uniqueness of solutions to differential equations. It states that the rate of change of a function must not exceed a certain constant value, known as the Lipschitz constant, for all points in the domain of the function.

2. When does a Lipschitz condition fail for a differential equation?

The Lipschitz condition can fail for a differential equation when the function does not have a continuous derivative or when the Lipschitz constant is undefined or infinite. This can also occur when the function has a singularity or a discontinuity in its domain.

3. How does the failure of the Lipschitz condition affect the solutions of a differential equation?

If the Lipschitz condition fails for a differential equation, it can lead to multiple solutions or no solutions at all. This means that the behavior and uniqueness of the solutions to the equation cannot be determined, making it difficult to predict the behavior of the system.

4. Can the Lipschitz condition be used to determine the stability of a differential equation?

Yes, the Lipschitz condition can be used to determine the stability of a differential equation. If the Lipschitz constant is small, it indicates that the function is sensitive to small changes in the initial conditions, making the system less stable. On the other hand, a larger Lipschitz constant indicates a more stable system.

5. How is the Lipschitz constant calculated for a differential equation?

The Lipschitz constant can be calculated using the Mean Value Theorem from calculus. It involves finding the maximum value of the absolute value of the derivative of the function over its entire domain. This value is then used as the Lipschitz constant to determine the uniqueness and stability of the solutions to the differential equation.