Where Can I Find a Surface Mount to DIP Adapter for a Custom Part?

In summary, a surface mount to DIP adapter allows for a custom part to be mounted on a printed circuit board. These adapters can be found online from various electronics suppliers or through specialized manufacturers. They are often used in cases where a surface mount component needs to be replaced with a DIP version or when a custom part needs to be integrated into an existing circuit design. It is important to carefully research and select the appropriate adapter for the specific needs of the project.
akhurash
I'm trying to find a surface mount to DIP adapter for a custom part. The length between the two surface mount contacts is about 4.40mm. I attached a simple drawing of the part. I'm having a hard time finding a DIP adpater because the part is custom made and I was wondering if anyone knows an adapter that would work. I can't make my own.

Attachments

• SMTtoDIPAdapter.png
    SMTtoDIPAdapter.png
    730 bytes · Views: 565
Engineering news on Phys.org
akhurash said:
I'm trying to find a surface mount to DIP adapter for a custom part. The length between the two surface mount contacts is about 4.40mm. I attached a simple drawing of the part. I'm having a hard time finding a DIP adpater because the part is custom made and I was wondering if anyone knows an adapter that would work. I can't make my own.

There are only two contacts total? So you want to make an adapter from 2 SMT pads to 2 through-hole socket pins? Or are there more contacts in the pattern that you have not shown?

For adapters, I've used Emulation Technology with good success:

http://www.emulation.com/

They also can make custom adapters (for a fee) if nothing is available off-the-shelf.

Thank you for the reply berkeman. Yes, I need an adapter from 2 SMT pads to 2 through-hole socket pins. I have to test multiple of these custom parts and I thought it would be easier and a little safer to put them on an adapter rather than soldering wires to them (like how I have been doing).

akhurash said:
Thank you for the reply berkeman. Yes, I need an adapter from 2 SMT pads to 2 through-hole socket pins. I have to test multiple of these custom parts and I thought it would be easier and a little safer to put them on an adapter rather than soldering wires to them (like how I have been doing).

For just 2 pads, I'd wire them to a ZIF socket's top two socket locations, and mount the ZIF socket on a small prototype board and bolt that to something (the SMT board, for example). Would that work?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTAvWP7RhP9bEBwtkWPZ2ZFY4y-byFhjreK8UrLq-fPNDUW6ArfIVjKcQv2.jpg

What is a Surface Mount to DIP Adapter?

A Surface Mount to DIP Adapter is an electronic component that allows surface mount devices to be connected to a dual inline package (DIP) socket. It consists of a small circuit board with a surface mount footprint on one side and a DIP footprint on the other, with traces connecting the two.

Why would I need a Surface Mount to DIP Adapter?

Surface mount devices are typically smaller and more compact than their DIP counterparts. However, some electronic projects or devices may require a specific DIP component that is not available in a surface mount package. In these cases, a Surface Mount to DIP Adapter can be used to mount the surface mount component onto a DIP socket, allowing it to be used in the project or device.

How do I use a Surface Mount to DIP Adapter?

To use a Surface Mount to DIP Adapter, first solder the surface mount component onto the surface mount footprint on one side of the adapter. Then, insert the adapter into a DIP socket, aligning the pins of the adapter with the corresponding pins of the DIP socket. The component can now be connected to other components or circuits as needed.

Are there different types of Surface Mount to DIP Adapters?

Yes, there are different types of Surface Mount to DIP Adapters available. They may vary in size, pin count, and pin spacing to accommodate different types of surface mount devices and DIP sockets. It is important to select the correct adapter for your specific needs.

Can I remove a surface mount component from a Surface Mount to DIP Adapter?

Yes, surface mount components can be removed from a Surface Mount to DIP Adapter. However, this may require special tools and techniques, such as a hot air gun or a desoldering tool, to avoid damaging the component or the adapter. It is recommended to consult a professional or follow proper guidelines when attempting to remove a surface mount component from an adapter.