Where Can I Find a Walkthrough of Hawking's Derivation of Black Hole Entropy?

In summary, Beckenstein Hawking Entropy is a concept in theoretical physics that links the entropy of a black hole to its surface area. It provides a physical explanation for the second law of thermodynamics and the holographic principle. While it cannot be directly measured, its existence is supported by various phenomena and calculations. Its implications have greatly advanced our understanding of black holes and the fundamental laws of the universe.
quickAndLucky
Does anybody know where I can find a walkthrough of the derivation of Black hole entropy the way hawking did it? (I'm not worried about deriving from string theory or lqg) I'm looking to follow along to understand the assumptions in the derivation.

Science news on Phys.org
The most comprehensive walkthrough of Hawking's original derivation of black hole entropy that I am aware of is a paper by Máximo Bañados and Stephen Hawking titled "The Density of States for Black Holes" (https://arxiv.org/abs/1404.4091). This paper includes all the assumptions and derivations in the original calculation.

1. What is Beckenstein Hawking Entropy?

Beckenstein Hawking Entropy is a concept in theoretical physics that relates the entropy of a black hole to its surface area. It was proposed by physicist Jacob Bekenstein and later refined by Stephen Hawking.

2. How is Beckenstein Hawking Entropy related to the second law of thermodynamics?

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will never decrease over time. Beckenstein Hawking Entropy provides a physical explanation for this law by showing that the entropy of a black hole will always increase due to the addition of matter and energy.

3. Can Beckenstein Hawking Entropy be measured?

Currently, there is no known way to directly measure Beckenstein Hawking Entropy. However, its existence has been supported by various physical phenomena and theoretical calculations.

4. How does Beckenstein Hawking Entropy relate to the holographic principle?

The holographic principle states that the information within a region of space can be fully described by the information on its boundary. Beckenstein Hawking Entropy provides a physical explanation for this principle by showing that the information within a black hole is encoded on its surface area.

5. What are the implications of Beckenstein Hawking Entropy for our understanding of black holes?

Beckenstein Hawking Entropy has revolutionized our understanding of black holes and has led to a deeper understanding of their properties, such as their temperature and evaporation. It has also provided a link between gravity and thermodynamics, allowing for a better understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe.