Where Can I Find More Information About Magnetic Flux Twisting?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of twisted magnetic fields and their role in various cosmic events. The individual asks for more information and expresses difficulty in understanding the concept. The other person responds with a metaphor and analogy to explain the concept and provides a link for further reading.
tjrutan
Can someone please give me a lead where I can find more information about this phenomenon? Shrug - I guess I take point blank dismissal too...

it's obviously happening, what is the phenomenon called?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Twisted magnetic field lines provide the "containment" for everything from coronal mass ejections from our sun, to the massive polar jets (probably) of black holes.

It's too early where I am too listen to the dialogue on those videos, so I'll respond to them specifically later (if I can). I would say this: you can twist field lines, bend them back, reconnect magnetic fields, but think of the flux as the energy going THROUGH the highway of field in a given volume and time. You twist a lot of things, but a flux follows, it doesn't... lead. Note that I'm using metaphor and analogy here a LOT.

Here's the real deal as I understand it in relation to possible solar dynamics.
http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-4357/466/1/L39/5006.text.html

[deleted]

Last edited:

Related to Where Can I Find More Information About Magnetic Flux Twisting?

What is magnetic flux twisting?

Magnetic flux twisting is a phenomenon in which the magnetic field lines of a magnetic field become distorted and twisted. This can occur when a magnetic field interacts with a moving or conducting material.

How does magnetic flux twisting occur?

Magnetic flux twisting occurs when there is a change in the magnetic field strength or direction, or when there is relative motion between the magnetic field and a conducting material. This can happen in natural phenomena such as the Earth's magnetic field interacting with solar wind, or in man-made devices such as motors and generators.

What are the effects of magnetic flux twisting?

The effects of magnetic flux twisting can vary depending on the strength and duration of the twisting. In some cases, it can cause disruptions in electrical systems, such as power outages or interference with electronic devices. In other cases, it can have more subtle effects, such as altering the behavior of charged particles in space.

Can magnetic flux twisting be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, magnetic flux twisting can be harnessed for practical use in various devices such as generators, motors, and transformers. By controlling and manipulating the twisting of magnetic flux, energy can be converted from one form to another, allowing for the operation of these devices.

How is magnetic flux twisting related to magnetic reconnection?

Magnetic flux twisting is closely related to magnetic reconnection, which is a process in which magnetic field lines break and reconnect, releasing energy. In some cases, the twisting of magnetic flux can lead to magnetic reconnection, resulting in powerful bursts of energy. This process is important in understanding various astrophysical phenomena, such as solar flares and geomagnetic storms.