Where could I look for down-to-earth X-ray facts?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction of photons, specifically X-rays and gamma rays, with surfaces and materials. The speaker is looking for resources to better understand this interaction, particularly in a lab setting. The conversation also delves into the effects of photon flux and generator energy on image noise. The expert summarizes that X-rays follow similar rules to visible light but may be absorbed or reflected differently based on the material and wavelength. They provide a link to a resource for understanding how X-rays reflect off metallic surfaces and mention that different materials may reflect or absorb X-rays differently.
Alfreds9
Hello,

I'd like to know which book or papers I'd read to understand, possibly without too rigorous mathematics knowledge, how do photons like X-rays or gamma ones reflect off surfaces and attenuate through solids or generally speaking, facts about how do they interact with the real world.

So far I've found this nice calculator which comes really handy to understand which percentage of X-rays at a certain keV will pass thru (http://web-docs.gsi.de/~stoe_exp/web_programs/x_ray_absorption/) and probably answers all my needs about attenuation, however I would also like to know how good/bad do they reflect off metallic surfaces in a lab setting, so that apart common sense I could guess what are the chances of X-rays entering from a slightly opened shielded door (left in that way by hasty colleagues) performing a radiograph in the next room onto a flat table.
Do they infiltrate into gaps like fluids or more likely bounce in straight lines like visible light?
Considering the same generator energy, would increasing mA (photon flux) for a certain time also increase image noise, or would it be equal to a lower photon flux in a longer time (so that mA * time yield the same result in both cases)?

Thank you

Allison

Physics news on Phys.org
Do they infiltrate into gaps like fluids or more likely bounce in straight lines like visible light?
Bouncey.

Bottom line: x-rays are a kind of light, so follow the same rules as for visible light.
All light can shine through a certain thickness of material, depending ont he material, for instance.
The brighter the light, the farther it travels in material, and also the more energetic the light ... so blue light is more penetrating than red.
Some materials are particularly good at absorbing some wavelengths though ... ruining the rule of thumb above.

I would also like to know how good/bad do they reflect off metallic surfaces in a lab setting...
http://universe.gsfc.nasa.gov/xrays/MirrorLab/xoptics.html

Considering the same generator energy, would increasing mA (photon flux) for a certain time also increase image noise, or would it be equal to a lower photon flux in a longer time (so that mA * time yield the same result in both cases)?
It's much the same idea as shining a brighter light on something.

Likes BvU
Simon Bridge said:
Bouncey.

Bottom line: x-rays are a kind of light, so follow the same rules as for visible light.
All light can shine through a certain thickness of material, depending ont he material, for instance.
The brighter the light, the farther it travels in material, and also the more energetic the light ... so blue light is more penetrating than red.
Some materials are particularly good at absorbing some wavelengths though ... ruining the rule of thumb above.http://universe.gsfc.nasa.gov/xrays/MirrorLab/xoptics.html

It's much the same idea as shining a brighter light on something.

I see thank you. I've read that while following the same rules of visible light, they reflect a lot less, how true is this?

Thank you for the links

The more energetic the light, the further it may penetrate a material before being reflected or absorbed.
Also: Just like different colors of visible light may be reflected differently (which is roughly how objects get their color), so different wavelengths get reflected differently. The determining factor is how the electrons (or other charges) are arranged in the material.
You will have noticed that not all materials reflect visible light.
The same goes for light that is not visible.

Last edited:
I see, now it makes sense, thank you very much!

1. Where can I find reliable sources for X-ray facts?

One of the most reliable sources for X-ray facts is the National Institute of Health (NIH) website. They provide up-to-date information and research studies on X-rays and their uses.

2. Are there any reputable scientific journals that publish X-ray findings?

Yes, there are several reputable scientific journals that focus on X-ray research and findings. Some examples include Radiology, Journal of Applied Physics, and Journal of X-ray Science and Technology.

3. Can I trust information from websites or blogs about X-rays?

It is important to be cautious when obtaining information from websites or blogs about X-rays. Stick to reputable and credible sources such as government websites, educational institutions, or scientific journals.

4. Are there any online databases specifically for X-ray data?

Yes, there are several online databases that contain X-ray data, such as the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) database and the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) database. These databases are regularly updated and contain a vast amount of data on X-rays.

5. Where can I find information on the safety and risks of X-rays?

The best source for information on the safety and risks of X-rays is the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website. They provide comprehensive information on the potential health effects of X-rays and safety guidelines for X-ray use.