Where has this proof gone wrong? ∞= 1/0

In summary, the use of infinity in mathematical calculations is a complex and nuanced topic. While it can be used to represent unbounded limits in real analysis, it cannot be treated as a real number with operations such as addition and multiplication. Attempts to do so can lead to contradictions and nonsensical results. Therefore, the mathematical consensus is that division by zero and the use of infinity as a number are undefined.
jbriggs444 said:
I stand behind the correctness of the logic in #7: If ##\infty## is an element in the field and has the property that ##\frac{1}{\infty}## = 0 then 1=0.

Indeed, I agree as well to this. There is even a field axiom, called the non-triviality axiom, that forbids that ##0 = 1##.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
From post #7 (with underlining added by me):
jbriggs444 said:
If ##\infty## were a member of the field of real numbers and if one agreed that ##\frac{1}{\infty}=0## then one could proceed to prove nonsense. For example...
In the post above jbriggs444 continues to the nonsense result that 1 = 0.

Mr Indeterminate said:
Then how you reason that x(x-1)=0 isn't proof of 1=0 while in #7 it is?
A shorter version of what jbriggs444 said in post #35.
If x(x - 1) = 0, then we can conclude that x = 0 or x = 1. x can be one of these values but not both. There's no way we can conclude that 0 = 1 from this.

Since we seem to be beating a dead horse here, I'm closing this thread.

Likes weirdoguy and jbriggs444