Where is a list of Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s) ?

• I
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    List
In summary, there is a well-known example of the 6709th and 6710th zeros of the Riemann Zeta function, but the list of all known pairs can be found in various sources, such as the link to Odlyzko's website and a paper by Varga. There are also many other zeros of the function, and a recent idea proposed by a user involves finding pairs of zeros that are close in value.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
Where can we find a list of known Lehmer pairs of zeros of Riemann zeta?
Many sources (e.g. Wolfram Mathworld ) give the example of the 6709th and 6710th zeros of ##\zeta## i.e. where the imaginary parts of the argument are 7005.06266... and 7005.10056... respectively.

Where can we find a list of all known pairs? I tried searching "6709, 6710" on OEIS but that didn't help.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • Informative
Likes Swamp Thing
Thank you.

Your post gave me an idea which somehow hadn't come to me before. I took the list of zeros from your link (Odlyzko, UMich) and pasted them into a spreadsheet. Then I took successive differences, and sorted them in ascending order of those differences. This gave me about 12 pairs that differ by less than the canonical example of root numbers 6709 and 6710. (I believe there is a formal definition that says how close is close enough to count as a Lehmer pair).

1. What are Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s)?

Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s) refer to a set of complex numbers that satisfy the equation zeta(s) = 0, where zeta(s) is the Riemann zeta function. These pairs of zeros were discovered by mathematician D. H. Lehmer in 1933 and have important implications in number theory and the distribution of prime numbers.

2. Where can I find a list of Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s)?

There are several online resources that provide lists of Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s), such as the University of Minnesota's Zeroes of the Riemann Zeta Function and Dartmouth College's Zeros of the Riemann Zeta Function. These lists are constantly updated as new pairs of zeros are discovered.

3. How are Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s) calculated?

The calculation of Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s) involves complex analysis and advanced mathematical techniques. It is a highly specialized field and requires a deep understanding of number theory and the Riemann zeta function. The exact method varies depending on the source, but it typically involves using computer algorithms to search for zeros within a specific range.

4. What is the significance of Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s)?

Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s) have important implications in number theory, specifically in the study of prime numbers. They provide insight into the distribution of prime numbers and have been used to make conjectures about the behavior of the Riemann zeta function. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and random matrix theory.

5. Are there any applications of Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s) outside of mathematics?

While the study of Lehmer Pairs of zeros of zeta(s) is primarily a mathematical pursuit, they have also been used in other fields, such as physics and engineering. For example, they have been applied in the study of quantum chaos and in the design of efficient communication networks. However, these applications are still in their early stages and require further research and development.