Where is the minimum intensity point between two bright lights?

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eyes Light
In summary, there are two bright lights separated by a distance $a$ and the person in the conversation is situated between them and is being blinded by the light. They are asking for the point where the received light is at a minimum and the response is that it is an underdetermined challenge and the solution is based on the assumption that radiometry is not well-defined in one dimension. The correct answer is confirmed to be using the inverse square law of radiation.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Suppose two bright lights are separated by a distance $a$, with one light having intensity $I_1$ and the other having intensity $I_2$. I am situated between the lights, trapped in a narrow passageway, and the light is blinding me. (Sweating) Please find the point at which the light I receive is a minimum. (Whew)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have to say Mark that the challenge is severely underdetermined. Assuming the most likely interpretation, my solution is below:

Let the first light be located at position $x = 0$, and the second light at position $x = a$. Then, at any position $x$, the amount of light received from the first light is $I_1 x^{-2}$ and the amount of light received from the second light is $I_2 (a - x)^{-2}$. So the total light received is:

$$I(x) = I_1 x^{-2} + I_2 (a - x)^{-2}$$

Differentiating with respect to $x$ to find the minimum:

$$\frac{d}{dx} I(x) = -2 I_1 x^{-3} + 2 I_2 (a - x)^{-3}$$

And setting this to zero:

$$-2 I_1 x^{-3} + 2 I_2 (a - x)^{-3} = 0$$

$$I_2 (a - x)^{-3} - I_1 x^{-3} = 0$$

$$I_2 (a - x)^{-3} = I_1 x^{-3}$$

$$\left (\frac{a - x}{x} \right )^{-3} = \frac{I_1}{I_2}$$

$$\left (\frac{a - x}{x} \right )^3 = \frac{I_2}{I_1}$$

$$\frac{a - x}{x} = \sqrt[3]{ \frac{I_2}{I_1}}$$

$$\frac{a}{x} - 1 = \sqrt[3]{ \frac{I_2}{I_1}}$$

$$\frac{a}{x} = \sqrt[3]{ \frac{I_2}{I_1}} + 1$$

$$\frac{x}{a} = \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{ \frac{I_2}{I_1}} + 1}$$

$$x = \frac{a}{\sqrt[3]{ \frac{I_2}{I_1}} + 1}$$

So this would be the position where the light received is minimized. Notice the solution is linear in $a$. Indeed, the problem is scale-invariant, since increasing the distance between the two lights does not change their intensity ratio.

Note the singularity at $I_1 = 0$. Let us depart from the abstract realm of mathematics for a moment and consider the physical implications of turning off the first light. Take a few minutes to convince yourself that the solution is going to be $x = 0$ ("as far as possible from the second light") and the issue is resolved.

Here is a plot of where you should be (in terms of $\frac{x}{a}$), against $\frac{I_2}{I_1}$ ratios (higher $x$-values mean the second light is brighter than the first):

9DcqZwE.gif

Notice that $\frac{x}{a} = \frac{1}{2}$ when $I_1 = I_2$, as can be reasonably expected.

Of course this analysis is not very rigorous, but then again, radiometry is not well-defined in one dimension (though I think it could easily be made to be) so I think this is what you meant.

Last edited:
Yes, it is intended to be in one dimension, where the inverse square law of radiation is used to determine the sum of the intensities. Your answer is correct! (Sun)

1. What causes my eyes to hurt when exposed to light?

There are a few potential causes for eye pain when exposed to light. It could be a sign of an underlying eye condition, such as dry eyes or cataracts. It could also be a symptom of a migraine or other neurological condition. If you experience eye pain when exposed to light, it is recommended to visit an eye doctor for a proper diagnosis.

2. Is it normal for my eyes to hurt when I go outside in bright sunlight?

It is not uncommon for people to experience eye discomfort in bright sunlight, especially if they do not wear sunglasses. Bright sunlight can cause temporary damage to the cornea and conjunctiva, leading to eye pain. Wearing sunglasses with UV protection can help prevent this type of discomfort.

3. Why do my eyes hurt when I use my phone or computer for too long?

When using electronic devices for an extended period of time, people tend to blink less frequently, which can lead to dry eyes and eye strain. Additionally, the blue light emitted from screens can cause eye strain and fatigue. Taking frequent breaks and using screen filters can help reduce eye pain when using electronic devices.

4. Can underlying health conditions cause my eyes to hurt when exposed to light?

Yes, underlying health conditions such as migraines, sinus infections, and even certain medications can cause eye pain when exposed to light. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional if you experience frequent or severe eye pain when exposed to light.

5. How can I prevent eye pain when exposed to light?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent eye pain when exposed to light. These include wearing sunglasses with UV protection when outside, taking breaks and using screen filters when using electronic devices, and visiting an eye doctor regularly to check for any underlying eye conditions.