Where to find detailed control panel pictures of nuclear plants?

In summary: The industry spends many millions of dollars to train operators. Candidates spend 3-6 years learning before taking their exam. An alternative is to work for a company that makes the simulator software or controls the nuclear plant in a simulated environment.
anorlunda said:
Sorry, but you're talking to a bunch of professionals here. To us, that sentence is nonsense.
Hey! Speak for yourself! I understood what he meant (well, sort of after I made some assumptions and stuff...) :wink:

Likes pinball1970
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey! Somebody futzed with my punchline!

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
Hey! Somebody futzed with my punchline!
Well, I did change "fron" in your post to "front door?" -- was "fron" supposed to be funny? Apologies if it was...

The punchline was not getting to finish the sentence before being dragged away

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
The punchline was not getting to finish the sentence before being dragged away
Ohhh! Okay, now that's funny! (although for us slower Mentors, finishing with an ellipsis would have made it more apparent...)

Likes pinball1970
1659742440818.png

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Maybe he was dictating.

• Haha
Likes berkeman and DaveC426913
@AlexanderReed try google with the Soviet RBMK. It is the most widely talked about and photographed nuclear reactor in history I believe.

But either way that game would need a serious model behind it because the systems in a reactor are interconnected and on various levels (electrical, hydraulic, thermodynamic etc)

Likes pinball1970
artis said:
@AlexanderReed try google with the Soviet RBMK. It is the most widely talked about and photographed nuclear reactor in history I believe.

But either way that game would need a serious model behind it because the systems in a reactor are interconnected and on various levels (electrical, hydraulic, thermodynamic etc)

Thanks, I will

AlexanderReed said:
Thanks, I will
If no one has mentioned the series yet I would watch it. If you can get a general idea of how a reactor works then you can build your model around that.
The court case at the end gives a good break down, it will be oversimplification (and artistic license probably) but as long as it makes sense that should do the job.

That part also mentions flaws and what the American reactors had that the Russian model did not have due to scrimping on cost.

I have just finished watching the series again us why I mentioned it (I'm not one of those professionals @anorlunda was referring to btw! Plenty on here though)

AlexanderReed said:
I want to make a video game which you have to drive a nuclear plant and face problems, but with a minimal simulation and consistency
There's a lot to choose from:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=nuclear+p...l&t=chromentp&atb=v329-1&iax=images&ia=images

Those seem a bit complex for a video game, particularly if the control room must include a staff of people to run it. One common element I see in a lot of pictures is a large circular array, which I assume displays the state of each fuel rod in a core.

And probably every control room is unique. I recall a coworker who told me about his visit to a nuclear power plant in the northeastern United States. He described a control panel that was made of granite. He wondered, of all the materials the design engineer could have chosen for that panel, why the engineer thought "I think I'll use GRANITE!"

Anachronist said:
And probably every control room is unique.
In France, there is one kind of nuclear reactor and hundreds of varieties of cheese. In America it's the other way around.

• Haha
Likes artis and anorlunda