Where to find reliable salary averages for Engineers?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Salary
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's search for information on expected salaries for Thermo Fluids Engineers in Massachusetts with an M.S. degree. They have found some websites with varying numbers and are looking for more resources to be well-prepared for salary negotiation. The Bureau of Labor and Statistics and payscale.com are mentioned as potential resources, with the speaker noting the limitations of the BLS data.
Saladsamurai
So it's time to get out there and get a job. All throughout school they feed you a line about how much you should be making, but it's time to get real now. I am looking for good resources on where I can learn what I should expect to be making with my qualifications, experience, and in my location. I have found some websites, but there is quite a bit of variation in the numbers. That probably has a lot to do with the fact that I am looking at Mechanical Engineering salaries and ME is a very diverse field. In particular, I am looking for salaries for Thermo Fluids Engineers (in Massachsetts, USA) with an M.S. in their field.

Does anyone have any good resources for this? I would like to be well-armed for negotiation.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Bureau of Labor and Statistics is somewhat helpful, however, they do not make any distinction between 'entry-level' and 'all the rest' (probably due to imprecise definitions). So when you take the median of (all entry level) + (all non entry level) you need to know something about the proportion of those categories in order to make any assumptions as to who is being paid what...

Many people in HR departments use payscale.com.

1. How can I find accurate salary averages for Engineers?

There are several reliable sources for finding salary averages for Engineers. Some popular options include Glassdoor, Indeed, Payscale, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). These sources gather data from real professionals in the field and provide accurate and up-to-date salary information.

2. Is there a specific website that provides the most reliable salary averages for Engineers?

While there may not be one specific website that is considered the most reliable for salary averages, using a combination of sources, such as the ones mentioned above, can give you a well-rounded understanding of the current salary trends for Engineers.

3. Are the salary averages for Engineers different based on location?

Yes, salary averages for Engineers can vary based on location. Factors such as cost of living, demand for engineers in the area, and industry can all impact the average salary. It's important to consider the location when researching salary averages.

4. How frequently are these salary averages updated?

The frequency of updates for salary averages can vary depending on the source. Some websites, such as Glassdoor and Indeed, allow users to submit recent salary information, so the data can be more current. The BLS updates their data annually, while Payscale updates their data quarterly.

5. Can I trust the salary averages provided by these sources?

Yes, you can generally trust the salary averages provided by these sources. They gather data from multiple sources and use statistical methods to ensure accuracy. However, it's important to keep in mind that these are averages and individual salaries may vary based on experience, education, and other factors.