Whether the voltage is actually a magnetic force?

In summary: I strongly encourage the deliberate study and use of the standard words. Sometimes the standard terminology is not ideal, but it is still important to know it to facilitate communication. If you are unwilling to do that, then the next best approach would be to stick with the math. Inventing your own terminology is not appropriate for...
torxxx
My question is whether voltage is actually a magnetic force that pushes electrons through the electrical circuit. My question arises from the fact that conductor passes through the magnetic field and if the circuit is closed we have the electron movement as some force pushes the electrons it should be a magnetic force and I think we called this force as voltage of course this is just a theory and I'm interested in your opinion.

Physics news on Phys.org
No. It is an electrostatic force that pushes the charge carriers. The voltage is the associated energy per unit of charge.

No. This is not a matter of opinion.

The electric and magnetic forces are related, but the potential leads to an electric field, not a magnetic one.

Orodruin said:
No. This is not a matter of opinion.

The electric and magnetic forces are related, but the potential leads to an electric field, not a magnetic one.
ok then does that mean that the magnetic force creates another force voltage or potential pressure ... which then pushes the electrons through the closed circuit because say within the alternator the magnetic force transforms the mechanical energy into the electric energy

Yes. The change in magnetic field causes an electric field (Faraday's law)
That's why the alternator does not generate anything when standing still :smile:

torxxx said:
ok then does that mean that the magnetic force creates another force voltage or potential pressure ... which then pushes the electrons through the closed circuit because say within the alternator the magnetic force transforms the mechanical energy into the electric energy
Why not start with a good source of information* about this and follow the established route? If you try to make up your own theory, starting with your present level of knowledge then you will not make progress. This topic is so well grounded in measurement and solid theory that there is no room for "opinion".
*A textbook or even the top few paragraphs in this link.

Likes Dale and BvU
sophiecentaur said:
Why not start with a good source of information* about this and follow the established route? If you try to make up your own theory, starting with your present level of knowledge then you will not make progress. This topic is so well grounded in measurement and solid theory that there is no room for "opinion".
*A textbook or even the top few paragraphs in this link.
I understand and thank you for the answers but I was just wondering if what why called the magnetic force creating a new force voltage and these two forces in the combination transform the mechanical energy into the electrical energy

torxxx said:
I understand and thank you for the answers but I was just wondering if what why called the magnetic force creating a new force voltage and these two forces in the combination transform the mechanical energy into the electrical energy
Why bother trying to re-state a perfectly formed description that is almost two hundred years old? It's called Electromagnetism because there are two fields involved and one field changing will generate the other.

Likes cabraham
sophiecentaur said:
Why bother trying to re-state a perfectly formed description that is almost two hundred years old? It's called Electromagnetism because there are two fields involved and one field changing will generate the other.
sorry but i am not regretting anything i am say exactly as you yust with different words which are less complicated and easier to understand

torxxx said:
sorry but i am not regretting anything i am say exactly as you yust with different words which are less complicated and easier to understand
why have one force and when magnets rotate why have two force and energy transformation mechanical to electrical

torxxx said:
why have one force and when magnets rotate why have two force and energy transformation mechanical to electrical
Please use complete sentences and initial upper case.

Likes sophiecentaur
torxxx said:
i am say exactly as you yust with different words which are less complicated and easier to understand

Easier to misunderstand, perhaps easier to think you understand when you don't, but not easier to understand.

Likes davenn, Dale, jbriggs444 and 1 other person
Vanadium 50 said:
Easier to misunderstand, perhaps easier to think you understand when you don't, but not easier to understand.
You beat me to it!
like ++

torxxx said:
i am say exactly as you yust with different words
I do not think that you are saying the same thing just with different words. Your question indicates that you do not understand Maxwell’s equations in any words. Maxwell’s equations etc. describe electromagnetism at a classical level. They describe the relationship between the voltage and the magnetic force.

I strongly encourage the deliberate study and use of the standard words. Sometimes the standard terminology is not ideal, but it is still important to know it to facilitate communication. If you are unwilling to do that, then the next best approach would be to stick with the math. Inventing your own terminology is not appropriate for PF.

Likes cabraham
Vanadium 50 said:
"Excellent wise sentence " .You still have not explained to me what the difference between my claim and yours, of course, except ordinary names

torxxx said:
"Excellent wise sentence " .You still have not explained to me what the difference between my claim and yours, of course, except ordinary names
You cannot be understanding the Maths if you make a statement like that. Do you seriously think that we do things the hard way just for fun? If you are so sure of yourself then you should try to derive some of the important facts that come from Maxwell without using Maxwell. That would be very impressive.

torxxx said:
.You still have not explained to me what the difference between my claim and yours, of course, except ordinary names

Perhaps the best response was written a century and a half ago:

'I don't know what you mean by "glory",' Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. 'Of course you don't — till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"'

'But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument",' Alice objected.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

If you want to communicate, it's best to stick with established vocabulary.

Likes Dale
torxxx said:
You still have not explained to me what the difference between my claim and yours, of course, except ordinary names
Your claim is ##V=q(v \times B)## whereas we claim ## -\nabla^2 V = \rho/\epsilon_0##

Last edited:
Likes cabraham and sophiecentaur
torxxx said:
My question is whether voltage is actually a magnetic force that pushes electrons through the electrical circuit.
Voltage is not a force -- of any kind.

Likes cabraham, jerromyjon, Dale and 1 other person

Related to Whether the voltage is actually a magnetic force?

1. What is the relationship between voltage and magnetic force?

Voltage and magnetic force are two separate physical phenomena. Voltage is a measure of electrical potential difference, while magnetic force is a force exerted on a moving charged particle in a magnetic field. However, the two are related through the principles of electromagnetism and can influence each other in certain situations.

2. Can voltage create a magnetic force?

Voltage alone cannot create a magnetic force. A magnetic force is only created when a moving charged particle interacts with a magnetic field. However, changing voltage can create a changing electric field, which in turn can create a changing magnetic field, leading to a magnetic force.

3. How does voltage affect the strength of a magnetic force?

The strength of a magnetic force is dependent on the velocity of the charged particle, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the particle's velocity and the magnetic field. Voltage can indirectly affect the strength of a magnetic force by changing the velocity of the charged particle or the strength of the magnetic field.

4. Is voltage the only factor that influences the strength of a magnetic force?

No, voltage is not the only factor that influences the strength of a magnetic force. As mentioned, the velocity of the charged particle and the strength and orientation of the magnetic field also play a role. Other factors such as the mass and charge of the particle can also affect the strength of the force.

5. Can voltage and magnetic force be used interchangeably?

No, voltage and magnetic force cannot be used interchangeably. While they are related through the principles of electromagnetism, they are distinct physical phenomena with different units of measurement and behaviors. Voltage is a measure of electrical potential difference, while magnetic force is a force exerted on a moving charged particle in a magnetic field.