Which are stronger - ionic or covalent bonds?

In summary, there is conflicting information online about whether ionic or covalent bonds are stronger. Some generalizations can be made, such as ionic substances having higher melting and boiling points and being solid at room temperature, while many molecular substances are not. However, the strength of a bond depends on the specific atoms involved and whether one defines "stronger" as being able to dissolve in water or having a higher melting point. Ultimately, covalent bonds are considered stronger because the atoms are sharing electrons, while ionic bonds involve the exchange of electrons and are held together by their charges.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

I am currently teaching grade 11 chemistry, which isn't really my area. I am trying to find out, in general, whether ionic or covalent bonds are stronger.

I am finding a lot of conflicting information online.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ionic substances have higher melting/boiling points in general, so ionic bonds seem stronger. Ionic substances are also solid at room temperature, whereas many molecular substances aren't.

It is confusing though because bond strength depends on the specific atoms involved. However, their is a question on one of the worksheets I am supposed to use which asks the students to compare, so I'm wondering what generalizations I can make. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I would have to pick one to be "stronger", then I would say ionic, but a strong covalent bond is probably "stronger" than a weak ionic one (something with large atoms).

It depends on what you mean by "stronger." That said, I'd go with covalent as the stronger bond because, for instance, when you dissolve table salt in water, the atoms separate into ions whereas, say, carbon dioxide molecules generally stay in one piece when dissolved in water. The covalent bonding of the atoms in CO2 is better at keeping the molecule intact than the ionic bonds in salt.

jumbogala said:
Ionic substances have higher melting/boiling points in general, so ionic bonds seem stronger. Ionic substances are also solid at room temperature, whereas many molecular substances aren't.

In most molecular substances, melting corresponds to breaking the non-covalent intermolecular bonds (e.g. hydrogen bonds, van der Waals interactions) between molecules. A more fair comparison would be comparing the melting point of an ionic substance with the melting point of a covalent network solid like diamond.

Covalent bonds are stronger because the atoms are sharing the electrons, Ex: H20. Ionic bonds is when the atoms exchange the electrons, and are bonded because of their negative and positive charge Ex: Na+Cl-.

1. What is the main difference between ionic and covalent bonds?

The main difference between ionic and covalent bonds is the way in which electrons are shared between atoms. In ionic bonds, electrons are completely transferred from one atom to another, resulting in charged ions. In covalent bonds, electrons are shared between atoms, resulting in a more balanced distribution of charges.

2. Which type of bond is stronger - ionic or covalent?

The strength of a bond depends on several factors such as the nature of the atoms involved, the distance between them, and the number of shared electrons. Generally, covalent bonds are stronger than ionic bonds due to the sharing of electrons, which creates a stronger bond between atoms.

3. Can ionic and covalent bonds exist together in a molecule?

Yes, it is possible for a molecule to have both ionic and covalent bonds. This is known as a polar covalent bond, where the electrons are shared unequally between atoms, resulting in partial charges on the atoms. An example of this is water (H2O) where the oxygen and hydrogen atoms are connected by covalent bonds, but the molecule overall has a slight ionic character due to the unequal sharing of electrons.

4. How do the properties of ionic and covalent compounds differ?

Ionic compounds tend to have higher melting and boiling points, are soluble in water, and conduct electricity when dissolved or in molten form. Covalent compounds, on the other hand, have lower melting and boiling points, are mostly insoluble in water, and do not conduct electricity due to the lack of charged particles.

5. Are there any exceptions to the general strength of ionic and covalent bonds?

Yes, there are exceptions to the strength of ionic and covalent bonds. For example, some ionic compounds with smaller ions can have stronger bonds than larger covalent compounds. Additionally, the presence of multiple bonds in covalent compounds can also increase their strength. Overall, the strength of a bond depends on multiple factors and cannot be generalized solely based on the type of bond.