Which Branch of Math Should I Study for a Foundation in Functional Analysis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties of studying functional analysis and the need to have a foundation in set theory and logic before delving into analysis. It also mentions some symbols commonly used in analysis and recommends starting with classical analysis on real numbers before moving on to set theory and logic.
houlahound
looking at notes on functional analysis for self study. the authors I have stumbled across so far launch straight into the formal theory. I can't find any middle ground of intuitive motivations for the theory as yet. I am assuming the following is part of set theory? I can't follow the arguments because I don't know the terminology. are there lists defined for example the symbols in the following. I do not want these particular ones defined I want to know how to do it myself.

what branch of math do I need to read to get a foundation in this language.

any recommended readings.

thanks any leads.
upload_2016-5-16_14-38-22.png

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The \ symbol is "set difference" so A \ B = A ∩ BC (the elements of A intersected with the complement of B)

α Fα means ##F_{\alpha_1} \cap F_{\alpha_2} \cap \dots F_{\alpha_n} \cap \dots##, where the ##\alpha_i##s are some indexing set.
α Fα is similar, but is the union over some indexing set.

Books on analysis usually define these symbols in an appendix.

Mark44 said:
α Fα means ##F_{\alpha_1} \cap F_{\alpha_2} \cap \dots F_{\alpha_n} \cap \dots##, where the ##\alpha_i##s are some indexing set.

Correct, but this gives the impression that the number of ##F_\alpha## is countable, while it can be much more general. In any case, it seems the OP will need to look at some basic set theory before he can handle analysis.

micromass said:
Correct, but this gives the impression that the number of ##F_\alpha## is countable, while it can be much more general.
Yes, I realize that the ##\alpha##'s are some indexing set, not necessarily a countable set. My intent was to expand the notation somewhat.

Does analysis solve problems or just prove theorems and provide tools for solving problems?

ETA, I am going to do classical analysis on real numbers first re calculus. Seems like the logical thing and apparently I am already familiar with many of the content eg limits, series, real numbers etc.

Then set theory/logic then analysis.

Sound sound?

1. What is pure math?

Pure math, also known as pure mathematics, is the study of mathematical concepts and structures for their own sake, rather than for their practical applications in the real world. It involves the development and exploration of abstract mathematical theories and ideas.

2. What are math symbols?

Math symbols are visual representations of mathematical concepts or operations. They are used to express mathematical ideas in a concise and precise manner. Some commonly used math symbols include + (plus), - (minus), × (multiplication), ÷ (division), = (equal to), < (less than), and > (greater than).

3. How are pure math symbols defined?

Pure math symbols are defined in terms of axioms and rules that govern their use and manipulation. These definitions are based on logical reasoning and mathematical principles, and are used to build a formal system of mathematics.

4. What is the importance of defining pure math symbols?

Defining pure math symbols is essential for creating a consistent and rigorous mathematical system. It allows mathematicians to communicate and work with abstract concepts in a precise and standardized way. Without clear definitions, mathematical ideas and theories would be open to interpretation and could lead to inconsistent results.

5. How do pure math symbols relate to real-world applications?

While pure math symbols are primarily used for abstract mathematical concepts, they also have practical applications in the real world. Many mathematical theories and models developed through pure math have been applied to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. Additionally, understanding pure math symbols can help individuals develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are useful in a variety of professions.