Which chromatography technique is most suitable?

In summary: This would be performed in aqueous media with a nonpolar eluant and you would use a column with a partition coefficient that favors the hydrophobic peptide.
Tyto alba

Homework Statement

[/B]
Two proteins of similar molecular weight (<900 Da), same net charge in the solution but with different amino acid composition is to be separated. Which one should be used?

a. Cation exchange b. Anion exchange c. gel filtration d. Reverse phase

2. My attempt:

Since the net charge is the same so there's no point using ion-exchange.

Gel filtration or Size exclusion rules out as the sizes are the same.

So the only thing left to be exploited is the hydrophobicity of the side-chain of amino acids.

I have a feeling that hydrophobic interactions are least in proteins, less no. of hydrophobic groups are to be found in one as compared to polar groups. So using reverse will be best because...

Well I think I'm missing out something. Aren't we suppose to decide the combination of stationary and mobile phases based on the component of analyte we want to elude at the end?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I saw this question I had a feeling of being out of date, which I am. I have never heard of reversed-phase chromatography used for protein separation. I understand this to be typically nonpolar eluants which denature proteins.

But... the question says <900 Da. I don't call that a protein, I call that a polypeptide, something like a nonapeptide. So the denaturation issue should not arise. You have to consider how you get rid of the eluent after elution. If it's only organic solvent I suppose you evaporate it.

Your reasonings and also your doubts are logical.

The one I go along with is not gel filtration chromatography.

In theory you reasonably exclude ion exchange chromatography. However in practice this is not so absolute because the nonpolar parts and just the spatial distribution of charges makes the binding to the ion-exchange substrates somewhat unpredictable I think, so ion exchange chromatograqphy is still used though you might predict it couldn't be. You're told that the charges are the same (at all pH's?? - well it's possible especially if the peptides are related) but not what sign they are. Anyway you can play a bit with the pH of the solution, e.g. if it's moderately high the peptides will hopefully be more negatively charged, and you can use a resin such DEAE. Elution is done with a salt gradient or maybe a salt plus pH gradient. If the desorbtion conditions of the two peptides are quite similar you have to use a shallow gradient ofeluant concentration in the appropriate range.

Sorry if this doesn't give you a straight answer a, b, c, or d but the question does not IMO lend itself to tht very much; I hope we get some other contributions.

Last edited:
For peptide purification (which is what you'd be doing for <900 Da samples), reverse phase chromatography is the standard. Separation would typically be performed with a water:methanol or water:acetonitrile solvent system and you would empirically optimize the elution gradients for the particular separation. Solvent removal after fractionation would typically be done by evaporation (e.g. in a speed vac or rotovap) or lyophilization/freeze-drying.

For proteins where you do not want to use organic solvents, you can still separate based on hydrophobicity using hydrophobic interaction chromatography.

Likes Tyto alba

1. What is chromatography and what is its purpose?

Chromatography is a laboratory technique used for separating and analyzing mixtures of substances. It is based on the principle of differential migration of a mixture's components in a stationary and mobile phase, resulting in separation of the components. The purpose of chromatography is to identify and quantify the components of a mixture, as well as to purify or isolate specific substances.

2. What are the different types of chromatography techniques?

Some commonly used chromatography techniques include gas chromatography, liquid chromatography, thin-layer chromatography, and high-performance liquid chromatography. There are also specialized techniques such as affinity chromatography, size exclusion chromatography, and ion exchange chromatography.

3. Which chromatography technique is most suitable for separating different types of molecules?

The choice of chromatography technique depends on the properties of the molecules being separated, as well as the overall goal of the separation. For example, gas chromatography is best for separating volatile compounds, while liquid chromatography is better for separating non-volatile compounds. Affinity chromatography is ideal for isolating specific molecules based on their interactions with a particular ligand.

4. How do I determine which chromatography technique to use for my experiment?

To determine the most suitable chromatography technique for your experiment, you should consider the properties of the molecules you are trying to separate, as well as the desired outcome of the separation. It is also important to consider the availability of equipment and resources, as some techniques may require specialized equipment.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using chromatography techniques?

While chromatography is a powerful and widely used technique, it does have some limitations. Some drawbacks include the need for specialized equipment and technical expertise, as well as the potential for human error or instrument malfunction. Additionally, some substances may be difficult to separate using traditional chromatography techniques, and alternative methods may need to be considered.