Which Energy Law is the Key to Understanding Work and Conservation?

In summary, the conversation discusses different work energy conservation laws and how they can be easily derived by keeping track of different types of work and potential energy. The 3rd and 4th equations are seen as the most important, as they encompass all other equations and serve as a comprehensive way to track energy conservation.
mark2142
Hi, everyone! There are a lot of work energy conservation laws and I get confused which one of them summarizes all of them. Which one I should keep with me and rest should be easy to derive on spot ?
1. ##\Delta E_{mec}=0##
2. ##\Delta E_{mec}=W_{ext}##
3.##\Delta E_{mec} + \Delta E_{ther}=W_{ext}##
4.##\Delta KE= W_{ext} +W_{c} +W_{nc}##
5.##\Delta E_{mec}=W_{nc}##

Which one?

Thank you for supporting.

Physics news on Phys.org
mark2142 said:
Hi, everyone! There are a lot of work energy conservation laws and I get confused which one of them summarizes all of them. Which one I should keep with me and rest should be easy to derive on spot ?
1. ##\Delta E_{mec}=0##
2. ##\Delta E_{mec}=W_{ext}##
3.##\Delta E_{mec} + \Delta E_{ther}=W_{ext}##
4.##\Delta KE= W_{ext} +W_{c} +W_{nc}##
5.##\Delta E_{mec}=W_{nc}##

Which one?

Thank you for supporting.
To me, they are all fairly obvious. You have a bunch of buckets where energy can show up. You may rule some out based on the situation. You may change which classification scheme you use to split things into buckets.

But as long as your buckets include all the places that energy can come from or go to and you are not double-counting anywhere, then you can write down an equation for energy conservation.

It's just book keeping.

Edit: I find the notions of "conservative" and "non-conservative" work to be wastes of time. If you have a potential associated with a force then you can use a bucket for the potential instead of a bucket for the associated work. The classification scheme I would use is "work that I am tracking using a potential" and "work that I am tracking as plain old work".

Last edited:
Likes nasu and russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
It's just book keeping.
OK! Thank you.
BTW I think its the 3rd/4th eqn which is the mother of all equations.

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy and vice versa.

3. How is work defined in physics?

In physics, work is defined as the amount of force applied to an object multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. It is measured in joules (J).

4. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are closely related concepts. Work is the transfer of energy from one form to another, or the change in energy of an object. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its energy.

5. What is the formula for calculating mechanical energy?

The formula for calculating mechanical energy is ME = PE + KE, where ME is mechanical energy, PE is potential energy, and KE is kinetic energy. This formula applies to objects that are moving or at rest.