Which interstellar "empire" do you like the most?

• Thread starter Noisy Rhysling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interstellar
In summary: ...the realization of his insignificance was a crushing blow.So there's at least one detail that's still lacking.The size of that "little splinter group of planets" still in Bridle and Saddle:The trip left him with an oppressive realization of the vastness of the kingdom. It was a little splinter, an insignificant fly speck compared to the inconceivable reaches of the Galactic Empire of which it had once formed so distinguished a part; but to one whose habits of thought had been built......the realization of his insignificance was a crushing blow.
Noisy Rhysling
Despite its flaws I find the empire in The Mote in God's Eye timeline to be very effective. Doesn't get too much in the way, but is ruthless about maintaining order. "Istvan Dies", for example, tells the story of a planet that is slagged to bedrock when it rebels and won't surrender. Uneconomical to transport food between the planets.

Would the other end of that spectrum be commercial empires with private military? Or would it be each planet sovereign and no over-all governing structure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Poul Anderson's Polesotechnic League would fit under your idea of commercial empires with private military. Look up "Trader to the Stars" or "Satan's World".

Likes Alan McIntire
phyzguy said:
Poul Anderson's Polesotechnic League would fit under your idea of commercial empires with private military. Look up "Trader to the Stars" or "Satan's World".
Read them both, about 1/2 century ago.

The Galactic Empire, whose leaders are Darth Sidious and Lord Vader.:)
:smile:

Likes XZ923
Imperium of Man W40K is great :)

Reading up on the Humanx Amalgamation right now. Fun stuff.

ISamson said:
The Galactic Empire, whose leaders are Darth Sidious and Lord Vader.:)
:smile:

I agree the Star Wars Galactic Empire, but under Thrawn's leadership rather than those two totalitarian nutcases. If it weren't for Rukh, Thrawn's campaign probably would have been successful, the Empire and New Republic could have been united, they would have been ready for the Vong invasion, and trillions of sentient beings wouldn't have died.

I'm also a big fan of the Romulan Empire. Sneaky but strong, intelligent and cunning while also fierce and ruthless. "Balance of Terror" is IMO the greatest Star Trek episode of all-time of any of its iterations.

Likes ISamson
Vernor Vinge's writes about the Qeng Ho.

I just finished " a deepness in the sky". was a great book.

DennisN said:
I'm a fan of the Foundation trilogy, so I like the Mule's brief empire, but also first and second foundation (if they count as empires, I don't remember).
How about the original Galactic Empire itself?

Likes ISamson
My favorite is the extended Foundation series for what I found to be a mostly very logical presentation of a galactic empre's collapse.

Buzz Bloom said:
My favorite is the extended Foundation series for what I found to be a mostly very logical presentation of a galactic empre's collapse.

Which ones specifically?
I see pretty big holes in it.
As well as the original series, though this is less detailed.

Likes Ryan_m_b
snorkack said:
Which ones specifically?
I see pretty big holes in it.
As well as the original series, though this is less detailed.
Hi snorkack:

By the "extended Foundation series" i mean:
This list is from

Can you be specific about the holes you see, or at least some examples?

When you say "this is less detained". what do you mean by "this"?

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Can you be specific about the holes you see, or at least some examples?

When you say "this is less detained". what do you mean by "this"?

Regards,
Buzz
Original series is less detailed.
Figuring out how the Empire operated in the first place.
Because, inter alia, Sci Fi Writers Have No Sense Of Scale.
In Foundation, we see Lord Chancellor as the only representative of Empire traveling to Terminus.
Well, few details then. But in Bridle and Saddle, we get a bit more:
Salvor Hardin said:
How the mighty had fallen! Kingdoms! They were prefects in the old days, all part of the same province, which in turn had been part of a sector, which in turn had been part of a quadrant, which in turn had been part of the allembracing Galactic Empire. And now that the Empire had lost control over the farther reaches of the Galaxy, these little splinter groups of planets became kingdoms with comic-opera kings and nobles, and petty, meaningless wars, and a life that went on pathetically among the ruins.
Lord Chancellor of Empire not wanting to bother suppressing Anacreon´s rebellion is plausibly explained - he was going to return to Trantor, little gain from poor Periphery.
But what were the governors of Province, Sector and Quadrant thinking? With the Periphery abandoned by Empire, their jobs would vanish - unless it was they themselves who became Kings, and that would also have involved suppressing Anacreon´s rebellion.

Perhaps Province, Sector and Quadrant were mere groupings on a map, and the actual administrative subordination was Prefect directly to Trantor?
Plausible, until...
We get the size of that "little splinter group of planets" still in Bridle and Saddle:
Isaac Asimov said:
The trip left him with an oppressive realization of the vastness of the kingdom. It was a little splinter, an insignificant fly speck compared to the inconceivable reaches of the Galactic Empire of which it had once formed so distinguished a part; but to one whose habits of thought had been built around a single planet, and a sparsely settled one at that, Anacreon's size in area and population was staggering.

Following closely the boundaries of the old Prefect of Anacreon, it embraced twenty-five stellar systems, six of which included more than one inhabited world. The population of nineteen billion, though still far less than it had been in the Empire's heyday was rising rapidly with the increasing scientific development fostered by the Foundation.
How did Trantor run the inconceivable reaches without intermediate level governors?

It´s finally in Dead Hand that these inconceivable reaches are specified:
Isaac Asimov said:
there circled the huge Imperial planet, Trantor. But it was more than a planet; it was the living pulse beat of an Empire of twenty million stellar systems.

Siwenna, of 20 planets, was one of roughly a million administrative units on its level.
How was Bel Riose going to get the ear of Emperor?
Worse, how was Bel Riose going to get the ear of Parliament? If it was a known politically sensitive matter to open any business with Parliament?

A plausible Empire should have decided the matter on the level of some intermediate governor. And decided to forbid Bel Riose to fight. Cleon and Brodrig discussed enough reasons - it is a plothole that they permitted Bel Riose to fight in the first place.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Hi @snorkack:

Thanks for your post. I appreciate the detail and the quotes. It will take me a while to reply with reasonable comments, and I hope to do so in a few days,

Regards,
Buzz

Hi snorkack:

There is a lot to discuss, and I can't do all of it in this post.

snorkack said:
Original series is less detailed.
Sorry for my typo. I still do not understand this quote. By the original series I assume you mean the original trilogy. I assume in this quote you are the amount of detail to the later written parts of the series, both sequels and prequels. In what way is it "less detailed"?

snorkack said:
Figuring out how the Empire operated in the first place.
I am guessing that this refers to a "hole", but I am not getting what this hole is. Would you please explain in more detail?

snorkack said:
Because, inter alia, Sci Fi Writers Have No Sense Of Scale.
This seems like a general criticism of Sci Fi. Can you give some specific examples of this lack of sense of scale?

snorkack said:
In Foundation, we see Lord Chancellor as the only representative of Empire traveling to Terminus
I do not have any of the books immediately available to look at, and I do not remember the details of the scenes with the Lord Chancellor. I found
but the Lord Chancellor was not listed there. What exactly is the "hole" regarding the Lord Chancellor? Is it simply that he was the only representative of Trantor who visited Terminus? If so, why would you expect there to be others?

snorkack said:
How did Trantor run the inconceivable reaches without intermediate level governors?
Are you referring to a lack of detail in the story about the hierarchical structure of the empire being a serious "hole"?

snorkack said:
How was Bel Riose going to get the ear of Emperor?
In https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bel_Riose it says
He was the last strong General of the Galactic Empire, Commander of the legendary Twentieth Fleet, who eventually came to be known as "the Last of the Imperials", and earned this title well. His tactical genius was compared with that of Admiral Peurifoy, and his skill at handling men to be far greater. A man of great military genius, he was also brave, competent, good looking, neither too young nor too old, a taker of calculated risks, and good to his men—in short, he was a popular general.​
This, the nature of Bel Riose's reputation, seems to me to be a good reason why the Emperor would have a conversation with him.

snorkack said:
it is a plothole that they permitted Bel Riose to fight in the first place.
I think I get why you see this as a "hole", but I disagree. I confess I do not remember the details, but I do remember being satisfied that it was reasonable for Bel Riose to be sent.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Sorry for my typo. I still do not understand this quote. By the original series I assume you mean the original trilogy. I assume in this quote you are the amount of detail to the later written parts of the series, both sequels and prequels. In what way is it "less detailed"?
In that, for example, "Psychohistorians" and "Prelude to Foundation" add a lot of detail about Trantor compared to the original brief visit in "Dead Hand".
Buzz Bloom said:
I am guessing that this refers to a "hole", but I am not getting what this hole is. Would you please explain in more detail?
Trying to fill in the blanks on how exactly the Empire operated in the first place reveals that it´s hard to fit with all published constraints.
Buzz Bloom said:
This seems like a general criticism of Sci Fi. Can you give some specific examples of this lack of sense of scale?
Yes.
Lack of sense of scale between planet and whole interstellar setting: Foundation and several others interstellar empires, like Star Wars and Warhammer. Care for details?
Lack of sense of scale for a planet: Also common, and plenty of examples. Including, again, Foundation.
To recall an above quote:
Isaac Asimov said:
The trip left him with an oppressive realization of the vastness of the kingdom. It was a little splinter, an insignificant fly speck compared to the inconceivable reaches of the Galactic Empire of which it had once formed so distinguished a part; but to one whose habits of thought had been built around a single planet, and a sparsely settled one at that, Anacreon's size in area and population was staggering.

Following closely the boundaries of the old Prefect of Anacreon, it embraced twenty-five stellar systems, six of which included more than one inhabited world. The population of nineteen billion, though still far less than it had been in the Empire's heyday was rising rapidly with the increasing scientific development fostered by the Foundation.
The population of Terminus is previously specified as 1 million. Plausibly. But the relationship between the size of Terminus and Anacreon has implications Asimov misses.
Buzz Bloom said:
I do not have any of the books immediately available to look at, and I do not remember the details of the scenes with the Lord Chancellor. I found
but the Lord Chancellor was not listed there.
Lord Dorwin.
Buzz Bloom said:
What exactly is the "hole" regarding the Lord Chancellor? Is it simply that he was the only representative of Trantor who visited Terminus? If so, why would you expect there to be others?Are you referring to a lack of detail in the story about the hierarchical structure of the empire being a serious "hole"?
Yes.
It is common for hierarchical organizations to have more than optimal number of first level administrative divisions. In order to give more interest groups the independence of imperial immediacy and not make individual governors too powerful, many central governments are willing to sacrifice some efficiency.
But this is limited at a few hundreds. Empire with an expected region of a million prefectures should have had intermediate level governors. And we should have heard of their acts sometimes.

Hi @snorkack:

I much appreciate this discussion with you. You are reminding me of a lot of detail that I have forgotten, or remember differently than you describe it. I have been trying to refresh my memory with material I can find on Wikipedia, but it fails to meet my needs. I get that most of your posts criticize the trilogy, and in order to understand your criticisms I am going to have to get a copy of the trilogy as a reference. I am hopeful i will be able to continue this discussion in a week or so.

Regards,
Buzz

snorkack said:
Yes.
Lack of sense of scale between planet and whole interstellar setting: Foundation and several others interstellar empires, like Star Wars and Warhammer. Care for details?
It is common for hierarchical organizations to have more than optimal number of first level administrative divisions. In order to give more interest groups the independence of imperial immediacy and not make individual governors too powerful, many central governments are willing to sacrifice some efficiency.
But this is limited at a few hundreds. Empire with an expected region of a million prefectures should have had intermediate level governors. And we should have heard of their acts sometimes.

I would care about the details.
Star Wars sure isn't hard SF, but the emperor didnt rule alone, he had lots of sector governors (big moffs if i remember correctly) like Tarkin.
In W40k, we don't see an excellently working empire, fear of xenos and chaos are the only things keep it in one piece.

GTOM said:
I would care about the details.
An example about another section of Sci Fi Writers Have No Sense Of Scale. The great disturbance of Force in the galaxy far, far away:
http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/87.html

Now, the Kingdom of Anacreon is more plausible, because more familiar scale. I can deduce plausible details, so long as Asimov does not add extra details to contradict everything.

The number of planets in Kingdom of Anacreon is almost given as 32. This gives an average population of a planet at 600 millions. On a smallish side, but not grossly so. Earth had 600 million people around 1600.

Governing a region of 600 million people from outside is not so different as to be hard to imagine either. British India had something like 300 million people under British administration by Partition, subject to one Viceroy. Since Anacreon was a Prefecture before rebellion, and Anselm haut Rodric was a Subprefect of Pluema, the most likely meaning of that job description is a governor of a planet named Pluema. Roughly a social equal of a Viceroy of India, then.
It´s the part of hierarchy above the Prefect of Anacreon that gets conspicuous for its absence when expected.
GTOM said:
Star Wars sure isn't hard SF, but the emperor didnt rule alone, he had lots of sector governors (big moffs if i remember correctly) like Tarkin.
Do we hear the number of sectors and moffs?

1. What is an interstellar "empire"?

An interstellar "empire" is a hypothetical political entity that spans multiple star systems or planets. It is often used in science fiction to describe a powerful and expansive civilization that has conquered and colonized other planets.

2. Which interstellar "empire" is the most scientifically accurate?

As a scientist, I cannot definitively say which interstellar "empire" is the most scientifically accurate, as there is no concrete evidence for the existence of such empires. However, some science fiction writers and researchers have attempted to create scientifically plausible interstellar civilizations based on our current understanding of physics and technology.

3. What factors determine which interstellar "empire" is the best?

The concept of a "best" interstellar "empire" is subjective and can vary greatly depending on personal preferences and opinions. Some may consider a powerful and technologically advanced empire to be the best, while others may value peaceful and harmonious societies. Ultimately, it comes down to individual interpretation and perspective.

4. Are there any real-life examples of interstellar "empires"?

Currently, there are no known examples of interstellar "empires" in our universe. However, there are ongoing efforts to search for extraterrestrial civilizations and evidence of interstellar travel, which could potentially lead to the discovery of real-life interstellar "empires" in the future.

5. How do interstellar "empires" impact scientific research and advancement?

Interstellar "empires" are often featured in science fiction as a means of exploring advanced technology, space travel, and other scientific concepts. They can inspire scientific curiosity and drive innovation in various fields, such as astronomy and aerospace engineering. However, it is important to keep in mind that these empires are fictional and may not accurately reflect the realities of space exploration and colonization.

Back