Which Model is Best for Studying Vehicle Dynamics and Safety Algorithms?

In summary, the speaker is seeking guidance on which vehicle model to implement for studying under-steer/over-steer and testing safety algorithms. They have previously used a quarter car model but it is not suitable for their current needs. Two options, a Bicycle model and a two track model, are mentioned and the speaker is seeking advice based on experience or knowledge. They also share a link to a forum discussion on a 14 degree of freedom full-vehicle model for reference.
Gauzi
Hi everyone,

I want to build a car-model which should be good enough to study under-steer/over-steer and test various safety algorithms like ABS, TCS, ESP. Initially I made a quarter car model, here I could implement simple ABS,TCS. Quarter car model supports only longitudinal dynamics and is not adequate for realistic new tasks I have mentioned above. So now I am confused on which model to implement, I have two options Bicycle model and two track model. Based on your experience or knowledge please guide me.

I am new to vehicle dynamics and modelling.
Thank you all in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Could you two link up ??

Mechanics: 14 Degree of Freedom Full-Vehicle Model

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/mechanics-14-degree-of-freedom-full-vehicle-model.831009/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a bicycle car model?

A bicycle car model is a scaled-down replica of a car that is powered by pedals and resembles a bicycle. It is used for scientific studies and experiments in the field of transportation and engineering.

What is the purpose of using a bicycle car model?

The purpose of using a bicycle car model is to simulate real-life scenarios and gather data on the performance and efficiency of a car design. This data can then be used to improve and optimize the design of actual cars.

How is a bicycle car model different from a regular bicycle?

A bicycle car model is different from a regular bicycle in terms of its size, shape, and purpose. It is larger and more complex, with features such as a steering wheel, brakes, and gears. Its primary function is to mimic the movement and behavior of a car, rather than being a mode of transportation.

What are the benefits of using a bicycle car model in research?

Using a bicycle car model in research allows for controlled and repeatable experiments, which is crucial in the scientific method. It also provides a cost-effective and safe way to test and evaluate car designs before implementing them in real vehicles.

What are some limitations of using a bicycle car model?

One limitation of using a bicycle car model is its inability to fully replicate the complexity and dynamics of a real car. It also requires a skilled operator and a suitable testing environment to produce accurate results. Additionally, the use of a bicycle car model may not always reflect the behavior of actual cars on the road.