Which Non-Magnetic Material is Best for a Magnet Case?

• Thread starter Wayne Johnson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation is about making a "magnet case" for strong magnets and determining the best non-magnetic material to use. The options mentioned are stainless steel, aluminum, Lexan, or wood, and the purpose of the case is to allow the maximum amount of magnetism to flow through while also being non-conducting. The conclusion is that aluminum would likely be the best choice, but it is important to consider the temporary induction of a current when placing the magnet in the case.
Wayne Johnson
Hi... I'm making a "magnet case" for very strong magnets. I'm wondering about what non-magnetic material to use that will allow the MOST amount of magnetism to flow through? My obvious choices are stainless steel, aluminum, Lexan, or wood---- which of these non-magnetic materials will be the most "invisible" to the magnet inside? Make sense? Thanks... :>)

Physics news on Phys.org
Wayne Johnson said:
Hi... I'm making a "magnet case" for very strong magnets. I'm wondering about what non-magnetic material to use that will allow the MOST amount of magnetism to flow through? My obvious choices are stainless steel, aluminum, Lexan, or wood---- which of these non-magnetic materials will be the most "invisible" to the magnet inside? Make sense? Thanks... :>)
Welcome to the PF.

Steel is not a magnetic material? https://www.capitalsteel.net/news/blog/is-steel-magnetic

The choice of the material will likely depend on the application. Wood would be a bad choice most likely for an outdoor application. Can you say more about the application, and maybe upload a couple sketches of what you are wanting to make? Thanks.

:welcome:

The case should be non-conducting, such as lexan or wood.

Thanks for your reply! So, would aluminum be the best choice? Isn't it completely non-conducting?

Wayne Johnson said:
Thanks for your reply! So, would aluminum be the best choice? Isn't it completely non-conducting?

No no no. Aluminum conducts very well. Some wires are made of aluminum.

Likes Dale
So, let me get t his straight... Yes, I know aluminum is an excellent conductor of electricity, so is copper,
but both these metals are also completely non-magnetic. So, are you telling me these materials will somehow
grab the magnetism and scramble it / weaken it, even though they will let it pass through?

Wayne Johnson said:
So, let me get t his straight... Yes, I know aluminum is an excellent conductor of electricity, so is copper,
but both these metals are also completely non-magnetic. So, are you telling me these materials will somehow
grab the magnetism and scramble it / weaken it, even though they will let it pass through?

Actually, I may have misspoken. A non-conductor block time varying magenetic field (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage) but you did not say if your magnet was constant or varying. For a constant magnetic field, all those materials will work.

Aluminum would probably work, but please note that when you place a magnet in the case you will temporarily induce a current and create an electromagnet. Enough to matter? I don't know.

What is the best material for a magnet case?

The best material for a magnet case would be one that is both durable and magnetic. Examples include iron, nickel, and cobalt.

What are the advantages of using iron for a magnet case?

Iron is a commonly used material for magnet cases because it is affordable, easy to shape, and highly magnetic. It also has a high melting point, making it suitable for high-temperature applications.

Why is nickel often used in magnet cases?

Nickel has a strong attraction to magnetism and is resistant to corrosion, making it a popular choice for magnet cases that may be exposed to moisture or other environmental elements.

Can I use a non-magnetic material for a magnet case?

It is not recommended to use a non-magnetic material for a magnet case, as it will not have the same ability to attract and hold magnets. However, you can use a non-magnetic material as a protective layer on the outside of a magnet case made from a magnetic material.

What is the process for making a magnet case from a specific material?

The process for making a magnet case will vary depending on the material chosen. Generally, it involves shaping the material into the desired form, such as casting or extruding, and then magnetizing it through exposure to a strong magnetic field.