Which of the following compounds is aromatic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the identification of aromatic compounds based on the planarity and the Huckel's rule. The options given are analyzed and eliminated based on the number of Pi electrons. The conversation also mentions the incorrect orientation of the attached picture and the unhybridized p orbitals in the molecule. The person asking for help admits to not knowing and asks for clarification.
randomgamernerd
image.jpg
1. Homework Statement :
please refer to the picture attached

Homework Equations

: [/B]A compound is aromatic if it is planar and it satisfies Huckles 4n+2 Π electron rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

: [/B]
Option A is not correct...I don't know why...just speaking from intuition..probably its not planar due to angular strain..I don't know..
Option B is also not correct because we have 8Π electrons which makes it anti aromatic.
Option C also is incorrect as we have 12 Πelectrons making it antiaromatic.
Same is true for Option D.
Then which one is correct? Is it option A as it is the only option I discarded based on intuition.

Physics news on Phys.org
No way I am going to risk a neck injury. Learn how to post straight pictures please.

Borek said:
No way I am going to risk a neck injury. Learn how to post straight pictures please.
I'm sorry..next time onwards I will post in correct orientation..please forgive me and help me out this time..

randomgamernerd said:
Option B is also not correct because we have 8Π electrons which makes it anti aromatic.
Where are the unhybridized p orbitals in that molecule?

DrClaude said:
Where are the unhybridized p orbitals in that molecule?

I don't know

randomgamernerd said:
I don't know
Don't you know how double bonds are formed?

1. What is the definition of an aromatic compound?

An aromatic compound is a type of organic compound that contains one or more ring structures with alternating double bonds. It exhibits a unique stability due to the delocalization of electrons within the ring, making it highly stable and less reactive.

2. What are the key characteristics of an aromatic compound?

The key characteristics of an aromatic compound include a planar ring structure, delocalization of electrons in the ring, and a resonance energy that is lower than the corresponding straight-chain compound. It also has a distinctive smell, hence the name "aromatic".

3. How can you determine if a compound is aromatic?

A compound is considered aromatic if it meets the following criteria: it contains a ring structure, all the atoms in the ring are sp2 hybridized, it follows Hückel's rule (4n+2) for pi electrons, and it exhibits a resonance energy lower than the corresponding straight-chain compound.

4. Which elements are commonly found in aromatic compounds?

The most commonly found elements in aromatic compounds are carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Nitrogen and sulfur can also be present in some aromatic compounds, such as pyridine and thiophene.

5. Can a compound be partially aromatic?

Yes, a compound can be partially aromatic if it meets some of the criteria for being aromatic but not all. For example, a compound may have a ring structure and follow Hückel's rule, but not have all sp2 hybridized atoms in the ring. This is known as a non-classical or semi-aromatic compound.