Which simplifying method should be used to simplify 2x^2y^2 times 5xy^4?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify the expression 2x^2y^2 times 5xy^4. The initial thought is that they cannot be further simplified since they are two different expressions. However, the commutative property of multiplication is used to rearrange the terms and the exponent property is applied to simplify the expression to 10x^3y^6.
Spitfire
Hello,

I have already studied first year mathematics but I am doing some basic revision incase I missed anything,
(I skipped two grades and am thus missing some small simple things I should know)

When simplifying the single term expression,
2x^2y^2 times 5xy^4

my initial thought was they cannot be further simplified since they are two different expressions
Would I treat them as if they where in brackets, thus =10 times 2x^4 times 10y^12 times x^3y^6
would I treat them as indeviduals thus = 2x^2y^2 times 5xy^4

I know this is simple but I confused me.
Thank for any help :D

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, Spitfire64! (Wave)

We are given to simplify:

\(\displaystyle 2x^2y^2\times5xy^4\)

Now, we should observe, that this is the same as:

\(\displaystyle 2\times x^2\times y^2\times5\times x\times y^4\)

And the commutative property of multiplication allows us to write this as:

\(\displaystyle 2\times5\times x^2\times x\times y^2\times y^4\)

Now, let's get rid of the unneeded multiplication symbols (and use $2\times5=10$):

\(\displaystyle 10x^2xy^2y^4\)

Now, a property of exponents is:

\(\displaystyle a^ba^c=a^{b+c}\)

Can you finish? :)

What is the most commonly used simplifying method?

The most commonly used simplifying method is the use of algebraic rules and properties, such as combining like terms, distributing, and factoring.

When should I use the distributive property?

The distributive property should be used when there is a common factor in an expression that can be factored out to simplify the overall expression.

What is the difference between simplifying and solving?

Simplifying involves reducing an expression to its simplest form, whereas solving involves finding the value of a variable in an equation or inequality.

Can I use more than one simplifying method on an expression?

Yes, it is often necessary to use multiple simplifying methods on an expression to fully simplify it. This may involve combining like terms, distributing, and factoring.

Are there any simplifying methods that work for all types of expressions?

No, different simplifying methods may be more effective for different types of expressions. It is important to assess the expression and determine which method(s) would be most efficient.