Which stick hits harder? (one is stiff and other can be bent slightly)

• I
  • Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
yungman
This is really not supposedly a physics question, more a stick fight question. But of cause people into stick fight knows nothing about physics.

I have 2 sticks, one made of Hickory wood that is very hard, you cannot bend it even you put whole body weight to lean on it. Diameter is about 1 1/16". another is a nylon stick that is 15/16". It is almost unbreakable, but it can be flex a little if leaning on it. BOTH are of same length.

Let's assume they weight the same of 20oz with the rubber boot. the hickory stick itself is about 1oz lighter, but I put a little extra weight on the rubber boot to make it almost the same as the nylon one.

I test it force by tapping on my chin bone(of cause lightly) with the rubber boot, the hickory hard stick definitely hurts a lot more with the same force. BUT, when I practice on a heavy kicking bag by the rubber boot, I actually feel the nylon stick(a little flexible) seem to hit a little harder judging by the sound( how deep and how loud).

Is it possible? My initial thinking is the hickory with a slightly heavier boot should hit harder as more weight concentrates at the tip, but judging by the sound and the echo from the bag, it's not. I am confused.

Can air resistance play a part as the smaller diameter nylon stick experience less resistance? From my experience swinging in air, the nylon stick make a little louder whipping sound than the thicker hickory stick.

Anyone can explain in physics.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The hickory stick will break bones at or near the point of impact. The more flexible Nylon stick will accelerate the part of the body that is hit. Do you intend to fracture a skull or break a jaw, or do you want to knock them unconscious, without breaking bones?

The physics of the impact is to do with impedance matching, to transfer energy from your arm, to the stick, and then to the target. The energy could be delivered very locally, or spread over a much wider area.

Your arm is better matched to the more flexible stick, so the flexible stick impact will jar, or damage your arm less.

Likes sophiecentaur and yungman
Thanks for the reply, It's for self defense, just want to stop the attacker whatever it takes.

What is impedance matching? I intend to hit with the tip at one point, that's how I test. I have to try again hitting with the body of the stick.

Of cause there are technique combine rotation of the body, shoulder and squeeze the arm/hand at the point of contact. Those are technique I practice. Assume I am doing the same with both sticks, so that eliminate the variable. Both sticks don't hurt my arm swinging and hitting, so I am not worry about injury.

My concern is which one hits harder, that's the ultimate question. I feel more secured with the nylon as it will not break, where as the Hickory stick might break if accidentally hit something hard on the way.

thanks

yungman said:
What is impedance matching?
High impedance, in the mechanical sense, involves a high force, moving a short way (A 5kg brick hitting your skull).
Low impedance would involve a low force acting over a longer distance (A 5kg lump of foam bumping into you.

To get the maximum energy transfer from your stick, the impedance of the target would best be high to break bones (a high impedance target) and low to push you over without breaking bones but squashing your muscles.

yungman said:
Thanks for the reply, It's for self defense, just want to stop the attacker whatever it takes.
Well, police batons and ASPs are rigid, so most likely that is the best choice for a weapon.

Please be careful thinking about carrying or possessing a baton or similar as a self-defense weapon, though. In my home state of California, it is illegal (a felony) to carry one when you are not an on-duty law enforcement officer who has a "baton card" (similar to a "gun card") which certifies them as being trained.

I once had the same thought as you and went to a police supply business to purchase an ASP for self defense. The very helpful clerk asked me if I could show him my "baton card", and when I explained that I didn't have one, he explained the laws about needing the certification card and carrying it on duty only.

Probably best to look into taking a mace class instead... :wink:

1696540017809.png

berkeman said:
Well, police batons and ASPs are rigid, so most likely that is the best choice for a weapon.

Please be careful thinking about carrying or possessing a baton or similar as a self-defense weapon, though. In my home state of California, it is illegal (a felony) to carry one when you are not an on-duty law enforcement officer who has a "baton card" (similar to a "gun card") which certifies them as being trained.

I once had the same thought as you and went to a police supply business to purchase an ASP for self defense. The very helpful clerk asked me if I could show him my "baton card", and when I explained that I didn't have one, he explained the laws about needing the certification card and being on duty only.

Probably best to look into taking a mace class instead... :wink:
This is a walking crook cane. There are a lot of attacks unprovoked on older Asians.
My canes.jpg

How about the physics part, I am curious on the physics portion. I am not a mechanical engineer, so this might sound stupid.

I would encourage you to speak with a trusted martial arts instructor about learning how to use a normal object like a walking cane (not weighted in any way, and not concealing a long blade, etc.). If you are untrained and try to use a normal walking cane in self defense, there is a good chance that your attacker will take it from you and use it against you.

You should also do some research on what is legal and not legal to carry in your area, and what sort of training and licensing may be required for things that you are considering carrying. For example, for California I found this helpful resource:

https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/blog/legal-self-defense-weapons-in-california/

I think that I need to close this thread now, since there are so many potential legal issues for you and for others that may read this thread in the future. Please check your local laws, get some self-defense training from a trusted source, and please be careful.

1. Does the stiffness of a stick affect how hard it hits?

Yes, the stiffness of a stick can affect how hard it hits. A stiffer stick will transfer more force upon impact, resulting in a harder hit compared to a stick that can be bent slightly.

2. Is a stiff stick always better for hitting harder?

Not necessarily. While a stiff stick can deliver more force upon impact, a stick that can be bent slightly may have other advantages such as flexibility and shock absorption, which can also contribute to hitting harder in certain situations.

3. How does the weight of the stick impact its hitting power?

The weight of the stick can also impact its hitting power. A heavier stick will have more momentum and kinetic energy, potentially resulting in a harder hit. However, a lighter stick may allow for faster swings and better control, which can also contribute to hitting harder.

4. Are there any other factors besides stiffness and weight that affect how hard a stick hits?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect how hard a stick hits, such as the material it is made of, the length and thickness of the stick, the technique used by the person swinging the stick, and the surface area of the impact. All of these factors can influence the force and power of a hit.

5. Which stick is better for hitting harder: a stiff stick or a stick that can be bent slightly?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on various factors such as the specific situation, the preferences of the person using the stick, and the desired outcome. Both types of sticks have their own advantages and disadvantages when it comes to hitting harder, so it ultimately comes down to personal preference and the specific context in which the stick will be used.