Why a is not equal to zero in this pair of straight line equations?

In summary: This shows that even if one of the equations is simplified to a constant or a parallel line, the pair of straight line equation can still be represented in the form ##ax^2 + 2hxy + by^2 + 2gx + 2fy + c = 0##. Therefore, it is allowed to have a coefficient of ##x^2## equal to zero in the pair of straight line equation.
rajeshmarndi
Let say we have two line ##a_1x+b_1y+c_1=0## and ##a_2x+b_2y+c_2=0##. Then pair of straight line equation is

##a_1a_2x^2+(a_1b_2+b_1a_2)xy+b_1b_2y^2+(a_1c_2+c_1a_2)x+(b_1c_2+c_1b_2)y+c_1c_2=0##

i.e ##ax^2+2hxy+by^2+2gx+2fy+c=0##

Now if we take ##a_1=0##, then the first line becomes ##b_1y+c_1=0## i.e 1st line is parallel to x-axis . Then the pair of striaght line equation becomes ##2{h}'xy+by^2+2{g}'x+2fy+c=0##

In other words the coefficient of ##x^2## i.e ##a## becomes zero and still we have the pair of straight line equation.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Correct. If I read your title well, you think this is not allowed ?

rajeshmarndi said:
Let say we have two line ##a_1x+b_1y+c_1=0## and ##a_2x+b_2y+c_2=0##. Then pair of straight line equation is

##a_1a_2x^2+(a_1b_2+b_1a_2)xy+b_1b_2y^2+(a_1c_2+c_1a_2)x+(b_1c_2+c_1b_2)y+c_1c_2=0##

i.e ##ax^2+2hxy+by^2+2gx+2fy+c=0##

Now if we take ##a_1=0##, then the first line becomes ##b_1y+c_1=0## i.e 1st line is parallel to x-axis . Then the pair of striaght line equation becomes ##2{h}'xy+by^2+2{g}'x+2fy+c=0##

In other words the coefficient of ##x^2## i.e ##a## becomes zero and still we have the pair of straight line equation.

If you simplify right down to the lines ##x = 0## and ##y =0##, you get the two-line equation ##xy = 0##.

Likes mfb and rajeshmarndi

1. Why is a not equal to zero in this pair of straight line equations?

The value of a in a pair of straight line equations represents the slope of the line. If a were equal to zero, the line would be horizontal and have no slope. Therefore, a must be a non-zero value in order for the line to have a slope and be non-horizontal.

2. What happens if a is equal to zero in a pair of straight line equations?

If a were equal to zero, the line would be horizontal and have no slope. This would result in a flat line that would not intersect with the y-axis, making it impossible to accurately graph the line.

3. How does the value of a affect the steepness of a line in a pair of straight line equations?

The value of a is directly related to the steepness of a line. The larger the value of a, the steeper the line will be. Conversely, a smaller value of a will result in a less steep line.

4. Can a be a negative value in a pair of straight line equations?

Yes, a can be a negative value in a pair of straight line equations. This would result in a line with a negative slope, meaning that it would decrease as it moves from left to right on a graph.

5. What is the significance of a not being equal to zero in a pair of straight line equations?

The value of a being not equal to zero is significant because it allows us to accurately represent and graph lines with different slopes. This is important in many scientific and mathematical applications, as it allows us to model and analyze various phenomena and relationships.