Why am I seeing a discrepancy in photon energy when doping ZnS:Ag in MCNP 6.1?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of MCNP to generate photons in ZnS:Ag through electrons as the source particle. However, the resulting photons do not match the expected energy of 3.1eV and instead there is a spike around 4.8eV. It is suggested that MCNP does not have a good understanding of visible light and may not be able to accurately simulate scintillation. Recommendations are made for using tallies to calculate the energy deposited in the cell and the use of plib to generate lower energy photons.
nrat320
TL;DR Summary
How to create material to produce photons
I am a new user of MCNP and I am trying to generate photons in ZnS:Ag through electrons as my source particle. My simulation as it is now creates photons however they are not right. For example ZnS:Ag should create a lot of photons with energy of around 3.1eV. However I see a spike around 4.8eV which is not right. Because of this discrepancy, I think I am not doping ZnS with Ag right. My material input can be seen below. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

m1 30000 .45 47000 .05 1600 .45

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to physicsforums!

Default cut off is 1kev, so I'm guessing you are using a card to set that to 1ev? Btw I assume 1600 is a typo.

Thing is, MCNP has no real understanding of visible light. It has no way of telling it if the lattice is in the cubic or wurzite form, and no routines to work out scintillation if you could specify it.

The usual way to model a scintillator is to have a tally tell you how much energy a particle deposited into the cell of that composition and work out the pulse size from that. So it typically might be an F8 p,e with a large number of energy bins. You can tell it to blur the result a bit or you can do that in the interpretation step yourself, the FWHM resolution depends on how the light is collected of course.

nrat320 said:
TL;DR Summary: How to create material to produce photons

m1 30000 .45 47000 .05 1600 .45
So one has Zn, Ag, S, and the fractions add to 0.95?

Likes Alex A
Alex A said:
Welcome to physicsforums!

Default cut off is 1kev, so I'm guessing you are using a card to set that to 1ev? Btw I assume 1600 is a typo.

Thing is, MCNP has no real understanding of visible light. It has no way of telling it if the lattice is in the cubic or wurzite form, and no routines to work out scintillation if you could specify it.

The usual way to model a scintillator is to have a tally tell you how much energy a particle deposited into the cell of that composition and work out the pulse size from that. So it typically might be an F8 p,e with a large number of energy bins. You can tell it to blur the result a bit or you can do that in the interpretation step yourself, the FWHM resolution depends on how the light is collected of course.
thanks for the the reply!

I have used the commands below to indicated to MCNP I want to produce 1eV photons as well.
cut:P j 1.0e-6 $1eV

I have also narrow down my resolution of the tally bins the the range below.
e26 0 198i .000010

In have read in the report "LA-UR-12-21068" that is possible to create photons in the eV range through the use of plib. But from what I understand form your message, MCNP just does not have the right physics to create low energy photons.

Astronuc said:
So one has Zn, Ag, S, and the fractions add to 0.95?
At some point, I was just playing around with the weight fraction to see it it had effect. But it did not. I did try fractions that added up to 1. but same result.

LA-UR-12-21068 recommends a minimum cut off around 12ev because the energy loss mechanisms stop working under this. That might be what your peak is, a build up of photons at 4.8ev due to no loss mechanism. MCNP wasn't designed to do this stuff, so the physics models are missing.

I thought the 12eV cutoff was for electrons. But I think you are right that the physics for low energy wavelength is not well structured in MCNP. Which is disappointing since I wanted to observe photon production in different scintillator/phosphorous materials.

thanks for your insight!

• Informative
Likes Alex A

1. Why is there a discrepancy in photon energy when doping ZnS:Ag in MCNP 6.1?

The discrepancy in photon energy when doping ZnS:Ag in MCNP 6.1 is likely due to the fact that the software uses a simplified model for the material composition, which may not accurately reflect the complex interactions between the dopant and the host material.

2. Is there a way to improve the accuracy of photon energy when doping ZnS:Ag in MCNP 6.1?

Yes, there are several ways to improve the accuracy of photon energy when doping ZnS:Ag in MCNP 6.1. One way is to use a more detailed material composition model that takes into account the specific properties of the dopant and the host material. Another way is to increase the number of simulation runs to reduce statistical errors.

3. How does the choice of simulation parameters affect the discrepancy in photon energy when doping ZnS:Ag in MCNP 6.1?

The choice of simulation parameters, such as the energy cutoff value or the number of histories, can significantly affect the discrepancy in photon energy when doping ZnS:Ag in MCNP 6.1. It is important to carefully select these parameters and perform sensitivity analyses to ensure accurate results.

4. Are there any known limitations of MCNP 6.1 when simulating photon energy in doped materials?

Yes, there are some known limitations of MCNP 6.1 when simulating photon energy in doped materials. These include the simplified material composition model mentioned earlier, as well as the use of continuous-energy cross sections which may not accurately capture the discrete energy levels of the dopant.

5. How can I validate the results of MCNP 6.1 when simulating photon energy in doped materials?

Validation of MCNP 6.1 results when simulating photon energy in doped materials can be done through comparison with experimental data or with results from other simulation codes. It is also important to perform sensitivity analyses and verify that the simulation parameters are appropriate for the specific material and doping conditions being studied.