Why an electron at rest cannot emit a photon?

In summary, an electron at rest without any influence from a magnetic or electric field cannot emit a photon due to the conservation of energy and momentum. This can be proven mathematically, and even in the case of a moving electron, the process would violate the law of charge conservation.
Docdan6
Hi!

Could someone explain to me why an electron at rest without any influence from a magnetic or electric field cannot emit a photon ?

Could you explain it mathematically too ?

Thanks in advance...

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Think about it. Momentum must be conserved. Energy must be conserved.

anorlunda said:
:welcome:

Think about it. Momentum must be conserved. Energy must be conserved.

I know that ! But how can I prove it mathematically? (I don't have a background in physics I'm a pharmacologist...)

There is no solution where energy and momentum before emission equal energy and momentum after. Therefore, it can't happen.

You must be interested in physics, that is hardly a pharmacological question. :smile:

Likes Docdan6
Not even a moving electron, without influence of an electric or magnetic field, can emit a photon.

A photon at rest has energy just from its mass (mass-energy equivalence). If it would emit a photon, you would have energy from the electron mass, plus energy from the photon, plus kinetic energy from the electron (it has to move to keep the center of mass at the same place). That doesn't work.

For a moving electron, you can consider the process in the rest frame of the electron, with the same conclusion.

Likes Docdan6
Just in case this was a possible option, current belief is that an electron can't decay into a neutrino and a photon, because charge would be lost, which would violate the law of charge conservation (this assumes there isn't some smaller charged particle that no one has discovered yet).

Last edited:
Likes Docdan6

1. Why can't an electron at rest emit a photon?

An electron at rest cannot emit a photon because it is not in an excited state. In order for an electron to emit a photon, it must undergo a change in energy level, which can only occur when it is in a higher energy state.

2. Why is it important for an electron to be in an excited state to emit a photon?

The energy of a photon is directly related to the energy difference between an electron's initial and final state. Therefore, for a photon to be emitted, the electron must be in an excited state where it has excess energy to release in the form of a photon.

3. Can an electron at rest absorb a photon?

Yes, an electron at rest can absorb a photon. When a photon interacts with an electron, it can transfer its energy to the electron, causing it to move to a higher energy state. However, this process does not result in the emission of a new photon.

4. What happens to an electron when it absorbs a photon?

When an electron absorbs a photon, it gains energy and moves to a higher energy state. This can result in the electron becoming excited or ionized, depending on the amount of energy transferred from the photon.

5. Is it possible for an electron at rest to emit a photon under any circumstances?

No, it is not possible for an electron at rest to emit a photon. The emission of a photon requires a change in energy level, which cannot occur for an electron at rest. However, an electron can emit a photon if it is in an excited state and undergoes a change in energy level.