Why are only TM waves allowed in this geometry? (Planar interface)

In summary, in a planar interface geometry, only TM (transverse magnetic) waves are allowed due to the boundary conditions set by Maxwell's equations. TE (transverse electric) waves cannot propagate in this geometry because the boundary conditions require the electric field to be zero, which is not possible for TE waves. Other factors such as the geometry and material properties of the interface can also limit the propagation of waves. The geometry of the interface can affect the propagation of TM waves through scattering, diffraction, and interference effects. While other types of waves may be allowed under certain conditions, in most cases, only TM waves are able to propagate in a planar interface geometry.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm reading about excitation of surface plasmons, and there's a claim in the derivation I don't know how to prove. The geometry is two infinite slabs of material with negligible permeability (##\mu_1 = \mu_2 = 1##) and different permittivity ##(\epsilon_1 \neq \epsilon_2 \neq 1)##. The claim is:
Considering a metal surface mode in the infinite planar geometry, the transverse-magnetic (TM) mode solution of Maxwell's equations above (x > 0) and below (x < 0) the boundary is the only non-zero solution for this geometry [25].
Here's the source. The reference [25] that is cited for this statement about TM waves is: Maier S A 2007 Plasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications (New York: Springer), which I sadly don't have access to.

I know one could prove this by trial and error by just cranking out the boundary value problem with every possible combination of TE, TM and TEM modes, but I'm wondering if there is a more concise argument. (I'm preparing this content for a talk and want to be ready for this question with an answer that I can remember.)

I've attached an excerpt from the article:
Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG
My attempt:
The Gauss's law boundary condition for E-field implies that ##\epsilon_1 E_{1,x}|_S = \epsilon_2 E_{2,x}|_S##. In a TE wave, this transverse electric field ##E_x## generates an axial magnetic field ##H_z##. Because ##E_x## is not continuous across the interface, ##H_z## will not be continuous either. However, the Ampere's law boundary condition says that ##\hat{n} \times \vec{H_1}|_S = \hat{n} \times \vec{H_2}|_S##, which implies that ##H_{1,z}|_S = H_{2,z}|_S##. Gauss's and Ampere's laws cannot be satisfied simultaneously at the boundary for a TE wave, so TE modes are not allowed.
In a TEM wave, ##H_z = 0## but transverse E fields are allowed. It is obvious that ##E_x## must be 0 or you fall into the same conundrum as with TE waves with the boundary discontinuity (a non-zero ##E_x## would force ##H_z## to be discontinuous and therefore non-zero). However, I see no problem with having a TEM mode where the E-field is confined to the y axis. Have I made a mistake somewhere? My gut feeling is that TEM modes are only truly forbidden when the permeability is also discontinuous across the boundary, not just the permittivity.

I'm not feeling very confident in my attempt. Could anyone give this argument a sanity check?

Likes ergospherical
Physics news on Phys.org

Your attempt is correct. The key point here is that the boundary conditions for TEM waves are satisfied by a purely transverse electric field, which means that there is no component of the electric field parallel to the boundary (i.e. in the x-direction). This is because the electric field in a TEM wave is generated by a current that flows parallel to the boundary, and since there is no current in the x-direction, there can be no electric field in that direction. Therefore, the only non-zero solution for this geometry is the TM mode solution, where the electric field is confined to the y-axis and satisfies the boundary conditions at the interface. This argument holds regardless of the permeability values, as long as they are constant and do not change across the boundary.

1. Why are only TM waves allowed in this geometry?

In this particular geometry, only TM (transverse magnetic) waves are allowed because of the boundary conditions at the planar interface. TM waves have a perpendicular magnetic field and a parallel electric field, which satisfies the boundary conditions at the interface.

2. What are the boundary conditions at a planar interface?

The boundary conditions at a planar interface require that the tangential components of both the electric and magnetic fields must be continuous across the interface. This means that the electric and magnetic fields must have the same direction and magnitude at the interface.

3. Can TE (transverse electric) waves exist in this geometry?

No, TE waves cannot exist in this geometry because they have a perpendicular electric field and a parallel magnetic field, which does not satisfy the boundary conditions at the planar interface. Therefore, only TM waves are allowed.

4. How does the geometry affect the types of waves that can exist?

The geometry plays a crucial role in determining the types of waves that can exist. In this case, the planar interface creates specific boundary conditions that only allow for TM waves to exist. In other geometries, different boundary conditions may allow for different types of waves to exist.

5. What are the implications of only TM waves being allowed in this geometry?

The implications of only TM waves being allowed in this geometry depend on the specific application. In some cases, it may limit the types of signals that can be transmitted or received. However, in other cases, it may be advantageous as TM waves have unique properties that can be utilized for specific purposes.