Why are some names struck-through?

• Thread starter Grinkle
  • Start date
In summary, the strike through font is used on posters' names who have been banned for a period of time. It is not a glitch in the browser or the website's html, but rather signifies that the poster is banned and should not be responded to.
Grinkle
Gold Member
@Greg Bernhardt I see some posters names have a strike-through font in their post icon. Is this a glitch in my browser or the website html, or is there a significance to it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They're banned posters. Sometimes only temporarily so.

I too have wondered about the strike through. Especially when I see a (benign) post only hours old with the name struck-through.

gmax137 said:
I too have wondered about the strike through. Especially when I see a (benign) post only hours old with the name struck-through.
The benign bits is what tends to stay after the mods have cleaned up the less-savoury mess. They act fast when they're awake, but one can sometimes glean the horrible reality in the wee hours of the day (in the US), before it's forever hidden from the eyes of the innocent.

Likes Orodruin, Matterwave, davenn and 5 others
Bandersnatch said:
the horrible reality in the wee hours of the day (in the US), before it's forever hidden from the eyes of the innocent.
"Hats off for the 'First Response Team.' ":oldsurprised::partytime::oldsurprised::partytime::oldsurprised:

Likes dlgoff and davenn
Bystander said:
"Hats off for the 'First Response Team.' ":oldsurprised::partytime::oldsurprised::partytime::oldsurprised:

Funny thing, that's quite often @berkeman who is ER trained.

Likes dlgoff and berkeman
gmax137 said:
A good example is the benign question that @Q-1 posted in the Feedback forum about allowing philosophical discussions. Nothing wrong with that question or that thread, but he was banned today for unrelated reasons.
Q-1 said:
I would hope to ask if it is possible to implement a specific category devoted to analyzing psychological "dynamics" process' and such matters.

berkeman said:
Nothing wrong with that question or that thread, but he was banned today for unrelated reasons.

What are those reasons?

We generally don't disclose individual ban reasons.

Likes dextercioby
mfb said:
We generally don't disclose individual ban reasons.

That's a very good policy, especially with regard to brand new members whose first question is not about physics, but about recently banned members.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkre8QsKjZXAeMkmBxAy2t3yU6Q9qUmVRLJpo1TP_l7sbtuZ1K.jpg

Attachments

• images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkre8QsKjZXAeMkmBxAy2t3yU6Q9qUmVRLJpo1TP_l7sbtuZ1K.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSkre8QsKjZXAeMkmBxAy2t3yU6Q9qUmVRLJpo1TP_l7sbtuZ1K.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 442
Likes Wrichik Basu, Klystron, strangerep and 12 others
Who100 said:
What are those reasons?
Too late for @Who100 to get the 2018 humor award ?

Likes Wrichik Basu, russ_watters and berkeman
SammyS said:
Too late for @Who100 to get the 2018 humor award ?
Yes, but you've just put yourself in the early running for 2019 :)

Likes Wrichik Basu and russ_watters
i think @SammyS 's avatar puts him in the running :)

gmax137 said:
i think @SammyS 's avatar puts him in the running :)
Maybe ...

I just added the avatar in the last 1/2 hour. (my first after 8 years of membership)

It's evidence that I'm funny: not so sure about humorous.

1. Why do some names appear struck-through on documents or lists?

Names may appear struck-through on documents or lists for a variety of reasons. One possible explanation is that the individual has been marked as deceased. Another reason could be that the person's name has been crossed out due to a change in status or information.

2. Can a struck-through name be changed or updated?

Yes, a struck-through name can be changed or updated. This can occur if new information is discovered or if the individual's status changes. In most cases, the struck-through name will be replaced with an updated version.

3. Why are some names struck-through on important legal documents?

In legal documents, a struck-through name may indicate that the individual is no longer a party to the document. This could be because they have passed away, their status has changed, or they have been removed for other reasons. It is important to carefully review and understand the reasons for a struck-through name on a legal document.

4. Is there a specific meaning behind a struck-through name?

In most cases, a struck-through name does not have a specific meaning or symbolism. It is simply a visual indication that the name has been marked or updated in some way. However, in some cultures or traditions, a struck-through name may hold a deeper meaning or significance.

5. Who has the authority to strike through a name on a document?

The authority to strike through a name on a document may vary depending on the situation. In some cases, it may be the individual themselves who marks their own name. In other cases, it may be done by a legal or administrative authority. It is important to understand the specific circumstances and reasons for a struck-through name on a document.