Why are Water and Ethanol densities specified at different temperatures?

In summary, the standard density of water is given at 4°C because at this temperature, the density of water is most dense and temperature variations have a small effect on the density. On the other hand, ethanol does not have a similar region of near-constant density, so it is usually given at 20°C which is a more comfortable temperature for measurement. The density of water is often specified at 4°C because of its "local maximum density" which is a unique property and it is also part of the standard for linear measurements. While other substances may expand when frozen, only certain phases of ice have a greater density than liquid water.
Whisky Distiller
Why is the standard density of water given at 4°C while the density of ethanol is generally given at 20°C?

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
Image13.gif

Hi @.Scott thank you.

Would you know why then the ethanol density is usually given at 20°C although it is most dense at negative temperatures?

Whisky Distiller said:
Hi @.Scott thank you.

Would you know why then the ethanol density is usually given at 20°C although it is most dense at negative temperatures?
The point of using 4 degrees for water is that temperature variations have a small effect on density when it is near the point of maximum density.

As far as I know, and as Google seems to confirm, there is no similar region of near-constant density for alcohol. So why not make life easy and measure it at a more comfortable temperature?

There are two common temperature/pressure conditions used for reporting properties such as a material density:
Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP): 0°C, 100kPa
Normal Temperature and Pressure (NTP): 20°C, 101.325kPa

Unless you keep your work area very cold, NTP is more representative of the conditions where you will be using various materials.

Some sites claim that NTP was introduced by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). But I have not found anything on nist.gov confirming that.

The density of water is often specified for 4°C (actually 3.98°C) for two reasons:
1) Water is very unusual in that it has a "local maximum density" that does not occur at absolute 0 or at extreme pressures.
2) It is part of the standard relating linear measurements to mass.

Last edited:
.Scott said:
1) Water is very unusual in that it's "minimum density" does not occur at absolute 0.

I think you mean maximum. And maybe not just very unusual but unique? Are there any other substances that have this property?

JT Smith said:
I think you mean maximum. And maybe not just very unusual but unique? Are there any other substances that have this property?
Google was kind enough to auto-complete "what substances expand when they freeze".

https://xtronics.com/wiki/Expands_on_freezing.html

Yes, but do any of them have a maximum as a liquid, aside from at the freezing point. Water freezes from the top down. Does silicon?

I see that silicon does have a maximum as a liquid when supercooled.

JT Smith said:
I think you mean maximum.
Thanks. I have corrected my post.
JT Smith said:
And maybe not just very unusual but unique? Are there any other substances that have this property?
I wasn't sure, so I stuck with "unusual".
rcgldr said:
Certain "phases" of ice (water frozen at higher pressure) are more dense than liquid water.
I will correct to "local maximum".

1. Why are water and ethanol densities specified at different temperatures?

Water and ethanol have different densities at different temperatures because their molecular structures are different. Water molecules are more tightly packed together, making it denser at room temperature. Ethanol molecules are less tightly packed, making it less dense at room temperature.

2. How does temperature affect the density of water and ethanol?

As temperature increases, the density of both water and ethanol decreases. This is because the molecules have more energy and move farther apart, resulting in a decrease in density.

3. Why is water used as a reference for density measurements?

Water is used as a reference for density measurements because it has a well-defined density at different temperatures and is easily accessible. It is also a common substance found in nature, making it a convenient reference point for comparison.

4. Why is ethanol used as a solvent in many experiments?

Ethanol is used as a solvent in many experiments because it has the ability to dissolve a wide range of substances, making it useful for various experiments. It is also easily accessible and relatively safe to use.

5. How do the densities of water and ethanol affect their properties?

The different densities of water and ethanol affect their properties in various ways. For example, water's high density makes it useful for buoyancy and as a solvent for many substances. Ethanol's lower density makes it useful for fuel and as a disinfectant. Additionally, the difference in density can also affect the mixing and separation of the two liquids in experiments.