Why brown sunglasses filter blue light?

In summary: Yes. It's worth while pointing our that it's not so much an 'elimination' of all planes but one because that would end up with very little light getting through. When light passes through a polariser, the polariser selects just the component of the wave(s) in a particular plane. It actually let's through half of the energy of unpolarised light.Also, the filters in sunglasses are usually very broadband and let some proportion of all wavelengths through (except for joke glasses) or they would distort the colors too much for comfort. You'd normally describe the lens color as a "tint".
jlcd
Im selecting sunglasses for the holidays. How come brown sunglasses will filter blue light? How about green sunglasses? it's supposed to filter some blue light.. how much and why?

Science news on Phys.org
From what I've seen from looking a few things up, it looks like that rose colored sunglasses also filter blue light. In addition, orange colored safety googles filter UV light. If you think of the electromagnetic spectrum, or even rainbows for that matter, this begins to make sense. Brown (just a darker shade of orange typically), orange, and red light all lie to one side of the spectrum, while blue and UV light are on the other side. And light is either reflected or absorbed when it hits a surface; what is reflected is not absorbed and vice versa. So, what happens with orange (or brown) or red colored things is that they reflect orange (or brown) or red and absorb blue and possibly (depending on the material) UV light. In the end, this results in you seeing the reflected light, and not seeing the absorbed light when you look at the object.

I'm not sure about green, as it lies more in the middle of the spectrum so I hypothesize that it would filter less blue light than brown sunglasses.

Also, if you're looking at polarizing lenses, that's a whole different concept.

Calaver said:
From what I've seen from looking a few things up, it looks like that rose colored sunglasses also filter blue light. In addition, orange colored safety googles filter UV light. If you think of the electromagnetic spectrum, or even rainbows for that matter, this begins to make sense. Brown (just a darker shade of orange typically), orange, and red light all lie to one side of the spectrum, while blue and UV light are on the other side. And light is either reflected or absorbed when it hits a surface; what is reflected is not absorbed and vice versa. So, what happens with orange (or brown) or red colored things is that they reflect orange (or brown) or red and absorb blue and possibly (depending on the material) UV light. In the end, this results in you seeing the reflected light, and not seeing the absorbed light when you look at the object.

I'm not sure about green, as it lies more in the middle of the spectrum so I hypothesize that it would filter less blue light than brown sunglasses.

Also, if you're looking at polarizing lenses, that's a whole different concept.

Yes. It's polarizing lenses. I initially got the brown.. the visual is clearer than average because it's supposedly filter all blue (removing all haze).. but I changed it to green because brown only good for older people. But it's same concept as what you described above. Is it not? I know polarizing lens block all horizontal light.. but this is separate from the colors and blue filtering?

jlcd said:
Yes. It's polarizing lenses. I initially got the brown.. the visual is clearer than average because it's supposedly filter all blue (removing all haze).. but I changed it to green because brown only good for older people. But it's same concept as what you described above. Is it not? I know polarizing lens block all horizontal light.. but this is separate from the colors and blue filtering?
It's a similar effect but polarization doesn't necessarily depend on the color of the lens. For instance, here are some red lenses that are (advertised to be) polarized:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MZL6ZAQ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also, more fundamentally, polarization deals with eliminating all but one plane of vibration for electromagnetic waves. Reflection and absorbing on the other hand are caused by atoms in the material absorbing the light then "spitting out" the excess energy.

Calaver said:
polarization deals with eliminating all but one plane of vibration for electromagnetic waves. R
It's worth while pointing our that it's not so much an 'elimination' of all planes but one because that would end up with very little light getting through. When light passes through a polariser, the polariser selects just the component of the wave(s) in a particular plane. It actually let's through half of the energy of unpolarised light.
Also, the filters in sunglasses are usually very broadband and let some proportion of all wavelengths through (except for joke glasses) or they would distort the colours too much for comfort. You'd normally describe the lens colour as a "tint".
Aamof, I have been after a photographic filter which would have a sharp cut off near the blue end (rather than just a UV filter). Haze would be reduced and pictures taken in snow and mountains could be much improved but there would still be enough blue to give believable and natural looking colours. I have looked in catalogues but can't find what I'm looking for. Such a filter would look 'warm' but not too much, as there would be a reasonable amount of longer wavelength blues. Sorry - that's only a very minor hijack.

Likes Calaver
I have personally tried the maui jim brown glasses (HCL bronze) versus grey and green in the optical store. There is just obviously greater contrast in the brown glass.

Is it entirely due to our eyes unable to focus blue light because of our adaptable to the sky blue filter.. or what other causes why our eyes is not good with blue light. About the brown glasses.. could it have greater contrast because of the brown colors itself? What you think?

See http://www.mauijim.com/en/shop/sunglasses/rimless/sandhill for the lens color scene comparison.

Guys this is simple, a paper filter will filter every other light frequencies except the color we see (this is going to be controversial please do not talk about this sentence i can't express it any better) like blue filter filter light rays other than blue and white filter just let's all rays to pass through(again controversial alert) the brown the op talked about May have contain brown pigment which filter the color blue only(again...)
Please correct me if any mistakes.

What is blue light and why do we need to filter it?

Blue light is a type of visible light with a short wavelength and high energy. It is emitted by the sun and artificial light sources such as electronic devices. While blue light is essential for our circadian rhythm and regulating sleep patterns, overexposure to it can lead to eye strain, headaches, and even long-term damage to the eyes.

How do brown sunglasses filter blue light?

Brown sunglasses have a special coating that filters out blue light. This coating is made up of several layers of material that selectively block blue light from passing through the lenses. This allows for a more balanced and comfortable level of light to reach our eyes.

What are the benefits of filtering blue light with brown sunglasses?

Filtering blue light with brown sunglasses can provide a variety of benefits. It can reduce eye strain and fatigue, improve sleep quality, and protect the eyes from long-term damage. Brown lenses also provide better contrast and enhance visual acuity, making activities like driving or playing sports safer and more enjoyable.

Do all brown sunglasses filter blue light?

No, not all brown sunglasses filter blue light. The effectiveness of the blue light filter depends on the quality of the lens coating. It is important to choose sunglasses from a reputable brand that specifically advertise blue light filtration.

Can brown sunglasses filter blue light completely?

No, brown sunglasses cannot filter blue light completely. While they can significantly reduce the amount of blue light reaching our eyes, they cannot block it completely. Some amount of blue light is necessary for our overall health and well-being. However, brown sunglasses can provide a good balance and reduce the harmful effects of overexposure to blue light.