Why can an electron go through PVC insulator

In summary: By connecting the alligator clip leads to two different points on the body (left hand v. right hand), you are creating a small intermittent voltage (approximated to 18.5 - 8V) between the clips when the hands are at rest. If you press down on the clips, this voltage will increase. If you hold the clips close to the body, there is no voltage at all. This suggests that the body is providing some form of electrical insulation.
thomasj
I connected a PVC insulated alligator clip test lead to a 12V (give 20V) DC power supply positive terminal and a multimeter. After that I connected an other one to the multimeter ground, and a third one to the power supply negative terminal. I turned the multimeter to DC V measure mode.
When I keep the two free alligator clips in my left and right hand, the multimeter show voltage. At the not insulated part of the clips I can see approx. 18.5-.8V but I understand this because electrons can go through my body.
But if I keep the insulated part of those clips, I also can see voltage which depend on how strong I press the clips. It can go to 3-4V which is significant leakage.
But if I keep and press the wires right below the clips, no leakage. Wires also PVC insulated and my multimeter can measure 100uV precision. I cannot keep strong enough to see any extra voltage. (On high precision mode multimeter always show 1-2mV.)

Physics news on Phys.org
If the voltage was higher, that would be dangerous.

I'm having trouble visualizing what you are saying. Can you draw a diagram? Photo it and post the photo using the UPLOAD button.

As I wrote, voltage was 20V DC. Not dangerous.
I cannot make photo but I wrote what I did step-by-step. There was just a 20V DC supply, a multimeter and me in the circuit. Oh, and 3 test wire with alligator clips on both end. That's all.

I think what anorlunda is getting at is that you seem to be using a non-standard definition for the word "keep" in your original post. Non-standard to the extent that I really don't know what you meant, exactly.

Hi Thomas,
Welcome to PF :smile:
thomasj said:
I cannot make photo

why not ? ... you have a mobile phone or other camera ?

thomasj said:
but I wrote what I did step-by-step

Which, unfortunately is not entirely clearWe really need to see what you are doing so that there is no confusion :smile:

We know there is a PSU, a meter some wires and clips and your hands/fingers
we are not exactly sure of the connection combinations you describeDave

thomasj said:
I connected a PVC insulated alligator clip test lead to a 12V (give 20V) DC power supply positive terminal
thomasj said:
As I wrote, voltage was 20V DC. Not dangerous.

What is a "12V (give 20V)" power supply?

As others have said, a drawing of what you are describing would clear up a lot of ambiguity, but if my mental picture is correct, then you have the meter (+) lead connected to power supply (+) terminal, are holding the meter (-) lead in one hand, and in the other hand a lead connected to power supply (-) terminal. In other words, a series pair consisting of a voltmeter, and your body is connected across the DC supply.

Setting aside for a moment that connecting a voltmeter as though it were an ammeter is odd, consider what a capacitor is - two conductors with a dielectric between them - and how this relates to your observations.

1. Why can an electron go through PVC insulator?

Electrons are able to go through PVC insulators because PVC is a type of plastic that has a high resistance to electricity. This means that the electrons are able to pass through the material without being absorbed or stopped.

2. How does an electron pass through PVC insulator?

Electrons are able to pass through PVC insulators due to a process called quantum tunneling. This is when an electron is able to pass through a barrier, such as an insulator, even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier.

3. Can any type of electron pass through PVC insulator?

Yes, any type of electron can pass through PVC insulators as long as it has enough energy to undergo quantum tunneling. This includes both free electrons and bound electrons within an atom.

4. Why do electrons not get stuck in PVC insulator?

Electrons do not get stuck in PVC insulators because the material is not able to hold onto the electrons. PVC is a non-polar material, meaning it has no positive or negative charges to attract or repel the electrons. Therefore, the electrons are able to pass through without being trapped.

5. Is it possible for an electron to get through PVC insulator without quantum tunneling?

No, it is not possible for an electron to pass through PVC insulators without quantum tunneling. This is because PVC has a high resistance to electricity, so the electrons do not have enough energy to overcome the barrier without the help of quantum tunneling.