Why Can We Pass Our Finger Through a Candle Flame Without Being Burned?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve a problem involving the exposure of a finger to a candle flame and the burn threshold of human skin. The conversation delves into the topic of heat transfer, specifically convection, and suggests modeling the finger as a cylinder or a semi-infinite medium. The conversation also mentions the use of equations and calculations to support the answer.
chronicals

Homework Statement

I must solve this problem, please help me, which equations i should use?

Most of us have passed our finger through a 800C candle flame and know that if we limit exposure to about 0.25 s, we will not be burned. Why not? Show all the calculations that support your answer. The burn treshold of human skin is about 65C. Assume human flesh has properties similar to beef and h=100 W/m^2.K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What does h signify in heat transfer? How will you model your finger (e.g., finite object? semi-infinite medium)?

Mapes said:
What does h signify in heat transfer? How will you model your finger (e.g., finite object? semi-infinite medium)?

h is convection heat transfer coefficient. finger can be modeled as a cylinder, but what calculations i should do?

chronicals said:
h is convection heat transfer coefficient. finger can be modeled as a cylinder, but what calculations i should do?

Agreed. Now there are many approaches you can take; I don't know what techniques you've covered in class. One starting point is: how much energy is transferred to your finger in 0.25 seconds? How much flesh could that energy heat up to 65 degrees?

i think finger may be modeled as semi-infinite medium, initially at a uniform
temperature 37°C, anybody help me overcome this problem

Good choice. What equations have you found for modeling convective heat transfer to a semi-infinite medium?

[PLAIN]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4029/eqn464.gif

Am i use this equation?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I'd use.

Can you show your calculations or explanations how you solve this problem?

Im not sure of how to explain it mathematically but isn't that just the time it takes for your finger to reach a temperature at which it can burn?

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the process of thermal energy moving from one object or substance to another due to a difference in temperature. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. What is the difference between conduction, convection, and radiation?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects or substances. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids or gases. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How does heat transfer affect temperature?

Heat transfer can cause a change in temperature by either adding or removing thermal energy from an object or substance. When heat is added, the temperature increases, and when heat is removed, the temperature decreases.

4. What factors affect heat transfer?

The rate of heat transfer is affected by factors such as the temperature difference between objects, the materials of the objects, and the surface area of the objects. The type of heat transfer (conduction, convection, or radiation) also plays a role in the rate of heat transfer.

5. How is heat transfer used in everyday life?

Heat transfer is essential in many everyday activities. It is used in cooking, heating and cooling systems, transportation, and many industrial processes. It also plays a crucial role in the Earth's climate and weather patterns.