Why can't I find this group anywhere online?

• Thread starter davidbenari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a Cayley table for a non-Abelian group of order 8 with specific properties and the search for that group online. However, the Cayley table provided does not satisfy the properties of a group and therefore, it is likely incorrect.
davidbenari
http://i.imgur.com/JgpJp03.png

I've done the Cayley table for the group above and can't find it in any of the group encyclopedias online. I can post it too if you want, but I'll tell you this:

It is a non abelian group of order 8 with two generators (a,g) such that a^4=Identity and g^4=identity. Plus, it only has three self inverses (apart from the identity).

No group seems to satisfy this. Anyone knows which group I'm talking about?

Should I post the Cayley table I've done too?edit:

And here is the Cayley table http://i.imgur.com/VKJr18F.jpg

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you do a little searching, you will find that there are two non-Abelian groups of order 8. The dihedral group ##D_4## and the quaternion group. I will let you figure out which one is the correct one.

Also, your Cayley table does not match the Cayley graph. For example, ##b^2 = d## and not the identity.

Hmm. I'm checking that ##b^2=d##. For what its worth, I had already checked ##D_4## and the quaternion group and neither match my table. ##D_4## has 6 self inverses, the quaternion group has ##2## (I'm including the identity here).

Even if ##b^2=d## and my Cayley table is a wrong representation of the diagram, the Cayley table I've shown look quite legit and its making me crazy why I can't find it online.:mad:
By the way, and this might be a dumb question, but how did you figure out ##b^2=d##?

I've figured out ##b^2=d## now. Just for the heck of it, as I said, the Cayley table looks legit so why shouldn't it be online? My opinion is that there is something wrong somewhere with my table. After all, it is a proven fact that there is only a certain quantity of groups of order 8, right?

Last edited:
Your Cayley table does not satisfy associativity. For example, ##(ba)g = 1## while ##b(ag) = d##. Therefore, it does not describe the multiplication table of a group.

Likes davidbenari
And yes, there are only five groups (up to isomorphisms) of order 8. They are the Abelian groups ##C_8##, ##C_4\times C_2##, and ##C_2^3## and the non-Abelian groups already mentioned.

Likes davidbenari

Related to Why can't I find this group anywhere online?

1. Why isn't this group showing up in my online search?

There could be several reasons why you are not able to find this group online. It is possible that the group is new and has not yet established an online presence. It is also possible that the group is using a different name or a variation of the name that you are searching for. Additionally, the group may have a private or hidden online presence that is not easily accessible through a search engine.

2. Is this group affiliated with any larger organizations or networks?

It is possible that this group may be affiliated with larger organizations or networks, but it is also possible that they operate independently. You can try searching for the group within larger organizations or networks if you are having difficulty finding them online.

3. Why can't I find any contact information for this group?

If the group does not have an online presence, it is likely that they do not have a website or social media accounts where they would typically display contact information. You can try reaching out to other organizations or individuals who may be connected to the group to inquire about their contact information.

4. Is this group still active?

It is possible that the group is no longer active, which could explain why you are having trouble finding them online. You can try searching for recent news or updates about the group to determine their current activity status.

5. Have I misspelled the name of the group?

Double check the spelling of the group's name to ensure that you are searching for the correct term. It is also possible that the group may use a different spelling or variation of their name online, so try searching for different variations if the original spelling does not yield any results.