Why do bubbles form when we hit the surface of water?

In summary, when an object (like you) hits water, the air pressure inside the object decreases and bubbles are created.
Adamuss
Recently I went to a pool, and observed that when we hit the water/ create waves on the top layer of it, bubbles emerge.

It may sound like a silly question, but it really got stuck in my mind..Why does this happen?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

P.S: I am new to this forum, I hope that I opened this thread in the right section.

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally bubbles won't form on the surface unless there's some sort of surfactant (soap) involved.

Adamuss said:
Recently I went to a pool, and observed that when we hit the water/ create waves on the top layer of it, bubbles emerge.
<snip>

Are you referring to foam?

Adamuss said:

It may sound like a silly question, but it really got stuck in my mind..Why does this happen?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

P.S: I am new to this forum, I hope that I opened this thread in the right section.

You chose the right forum, and there's nothing silly about this sort of question - the physics of a good-sized object (chances are that you weigh many tens of kilograms) hitting water are complicated and interesting. Google might find you some high-speed images and videos of what's going on.

Several things to consider: First, as you are about to hit the water, the air between you and the surface will not be able to escape before you reach the surface - that air will be driven under water and will have to make it back to the surface as bubbles. Second, as you push below the surface, both air and water will rush into fill the space above you, and some of the air may end up underneath the water - another source of bubbles. And as KL7AJ points out, any surfactant (or even surface contaminant) in the water will affect how long the bubbles last and how noticeable they are.

Don't forget that some air is also trapped inside your bathing suit, and has to escape.

Chet

Thank you for your answers, there was no surfactant in the water, so I understood what happened, reading Nugatory's explanation.

What causes bubbles to form on top of water?

Bubbles on top of water are caused by gases, usually air, being trapped in the water. These gases are released from dissolved solids or from agitation of the water surface, such as from wind or movement.

Why do some bubbles float and others sink?

The density of the gas inside the bubble determines whether it will float or sink. If the gas is lighter than water, the bubble will float. If the gas is heavier, the bubble will sink.

What determines the size of bubbles on top of water?

The size of bubbles is determined by the amount of gas trapped in the water and the surface tension of the water. The more gas present, the larger the bubble will be. Additionally, the surface tension of the water can cause smaller bubbles to combine and form larger ones.

Do bubbles on top of water serve any purpose?

Bubbles on top of water can serve several purposes. They can help regulate the temperature of the water by insulating it, as well as oxygenate the water for aquatic life. Bubbles can also be a sign of chemical reactions occurring in the water.

How can you make bubbles on top of water last longer?

Bubbles on top of water can be made to last longer by reducing the agitation of the water surface. This can be done by placing a lid over the container or using a water with a higher surface tension, such as soapy water. Additionally, adding substances like sugar or glycerin can increase the viscosity of the water and make bubbles last longer.