Why do conservative forces try to reduce potential energy?

In summary, a conservative force always tries to reduce the potential energy of a system at its minimum. This is because the work done by a conservative force is equal to the negative change in potential energy, meaning that if the work is positive, the potential energy decreases. This can be seen as the force pushing a particle in the direction of maximum decrease of potential, which is the negative gradient of the potential field. This interpretation is more intuitive than the idea of positive or negative work, and it highlights the connection between the force and potential energy in a conservative system. If the direction of the force were reversed, the particle would move in the direction of maximum increase of potential.
Soren4
I do not understand the reason why a conservative force always "tries" to reduce the potential energy of a system at its minimum (forgive me if I said it in a wrong way).

The explanation I gave me is: since for a conservative force, from the definition of potential energy, [itex]W=-\Delta U[/itex] that means that if the work is positive, the potential energy decreases. Now, saying "the work is positive" means that the force is not opposing the displacement (more precisely [itex]\vec{F} \cdot \vec{ds}>0 [/itex]) or equivalently that the kinetic energy is increasing. Nevertheless I do not see why a (conservative) force should "naturally" do positive work (since this depends also on [itex]\vec{ds}>0 [/itex]). This is surely a wrong explanation.

So what is the correct reason for this? And how to interpret this fact?

Physics news on Phys.org
What would happen if the direction of the force were reversed?

I don't like the work explanation either. If we throw a rock up in the air then gravity does negative work on the rock while it is moving up.

An explanation I like better is that a conservative force defines a potential field, and the force is the negative gradient of that field, which means that the force points in the direction of the greatest decrease of the field (like how a ball on a hill will roll down in the direction of the steepest gradient). So the force is always pushing a particle in the direction of maximum decrease of potential.

Likes PhanthomJay and Soren4
Thanks a lot for the answer! It is more clear now! If I may ask, how to interpret "physically" (less then mathematically) the fact that the force is the negative gradient of the potential field (and so it is directed towards the greatest decrease of it)? Of course it is a consequence of how the potential field has been defined but is there something more (from the point of view of physics) in this?

1. Why do conservative forces try to reduce potential energy?

Conservative forces, such as gravity and electromagnetic forces, try to reduce potential energy because it allows for a stable and more balanced state. This is known as the principle of minimum potential energy, where systems tend to move towards a state of minimum potential energy in order to achieve equilibrium.

2. How does reducing potential energy benefit conservative forces?

Reducing potential energy benefits conservative forces by allowing them to release stored energy and perform work. This can lead to the motion of objects, such as a ball rolling down a hill due to the force of gravity. By reducing potential energy, conservative forces can also maintain stability and prevent objects from moving uncontrollably.

3. Can conservative forces increase potential energy?

No, conservative forces cannot increase potential energy. This is because they only act on objects in a way that conserves energy, meaning the total energy of the system remains constant. Therefore, conservative forces can only reduce potential energy, not increase it.

4. What happens to potential energy when conservative forces are absent?

In the absence of conservative forces, potential energy remains constant. This is because potential energy is a property of an object's position relative to a conservative force, and without the force acting on the object, there is no change in potential energy.

5. How is potential energy related to the concept of work?

Potential energy is related to work because work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. When conservative forces act on an object, they transfer potential energy into kinetic energy, causing the object to move. This is known as the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done by a force is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy.