Why do more magnets affect how long a homopolar motor spins?

In summary, increasing the number of magnets on a motor increases the speed at which it spins before running out of battery power.
Julie
Hi All,

My daughter did a science experiment on homopolar motors. The only variable was the number of magnets on each motor. We found out through the experiment that the more magnets we attached to the motor, the longer it spun before the battery died. I'm assuming it has to do with the magnetic force causing it to spin more efficiently. I've found all sorts of info on why the motor spins but nothing to explain our findings. Can anyone help or point us in the right direction? Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that the resistance is increased leading to a lower current and therefore a slower discharge.

Likes Julie
Dale said:
I would guess that the resistance is increased leading to a lower current and therefore a slower discharge.
Thank you Dale!

Back emf would be greater with more magnets?

Likes Julie, Dale and CWatters
+1

When you connect a battery to the motor it typically accelerates until the back emf is equal to the battery voltage. The stronger the magnetic field the greater the back emf at a given rpm. So increasing the field reduces the rpm. Reduced rpm reduces the output power. Reduced output power means reduced input power and longer battery run time.

Aside: Some of this is counter intuitive. You might expect stronger magnets to make a more powerful motor but its not quite that simple. Normally if you design a motor you want to achieve a specific rpm/volt so when increasing the strength of the magnets you would normally also reduce the number of turns to keep the rpm/volt the same. Reducing the number of turns reduces the winding resistance and hence reduces I^2R losses making the motor more efficient. That in turn makes the motor more powerful for a given input power. Or it reduces the input power for a given output power.

Likes sophiecentaur, Julie and Dale
sophiecentaur said:
Back emf would be greater with more magnets?
Thank you!

CWatters said:
+1

When you connect a battery to the motor it typically accelerates until the back emf is equal to the battery voltage. The stronger the magnetic field the greater the back emf at a given rpm. So increasing the field reduces the rpm. Reduced rpm reduces the output power. Reduced output power means reduced input power and longer battery run time.

Aside: Some of this is counter intuitive. You might expect stronger magnets to make a more powerful motor but its not quite that simple. Normally if you design a motor you want to achieve a specific rpm/volt so when increasing the strength of the magnets you would normally also reduce the number of turns to keep the rpm/volt the same. Reducing the number of turns reduces the winding resistance and hence reduces I^2R losses making the motor more efficient. That in turn makes the motor more powerful for a given input power. Or it reduces the input power for a given output power.
Thank you so much for the explanation!

Question 1: How do magnets affect the spinning of a homopolar motor?

Magnets affect the spinning of a homopolar motor by creating a magnetic field that interacts with the electric current generated by the motor. This interaction creates a force that causes the motor to spin.

Question 2: Why does increasing the number of magnets affect the duration of the motor's spin?

Increasing the number of magnets increases the strength of the magnetic field and therefore, the force that is exerted on the motor. This results in a longer duration of spin as the motor is able to overcome any friction or resistance more easily.

Question 3: How does the placement of the magnets impact the spin time of the homopolar motor?

The placement of the magnets can impact the spin time of the homopolar motor as it can affect the strength and direction of the magnetic field. If the magnets are placed too far away from the motor, the magnetic field may not be strong enough to create a significant force on the motor, resulting in a shorter spin time.

Question 4: Can the type of magnets used affect the spin time of the homopolar motor?

Yes, the type of magnets used can affect the spin time of the homopolar motor. Different types of magnets have varying strengths and characteristics, which can impact the strength of the magnetic field and therefore, the force on the motor. Generally, stronger magnets will result in a longer spin time.

Question 5: Is there a limit to the number of magnets that can be used for a homopolar motor?

There is no definitive limit to the number of magnets that can be used for a homopolar motor. However, there may be practical limitations such as space constraints or diminishing returns in terms of increased spin time with each additional magnet. It is important to experiment and find the optimal number of magnets for the specific motor design and materials used.