Why do these biology textbooks write 'differential' as an adjective?

In summary, these books are using differential correctly, but the term could be more specific and less wordy.
12john
Homework Statement
I don't understand the differences between 'differential' and 'different' as adjectives in the quotations below.
Relevant Equations
N/A.
Are these books using 'differential' correctly? Why not just write 'different'?

1. Handbook of the Biology of Aging edited by Edward J. Masoro, Steven N. Austad. p 480.
hlywo.jpg

2. The Cambridge Companion to the Philosophy of Biology edited by David L. Hull, Michael Ruse. p 46.
rSuzJ.jpg

3. p 78.
8s8Rn.jpg

4. Dictionary of Plant Genetics and Molecular Biology by Gurbachan Miglani. Anyone know the page #?
NBvFk.jpg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume for some quantity Q, the author would like to mention dQ or ##\triangle Q## which means theoretically infinite small change and would satisfy some differential equation.

• Skeptical
Likes pbuk
I believe the usage of differential implies that the noted difference can be correlated to changes in an otherwise independent parameter. Hence the term difference is less specific.

Last edited:
Likes DaveE, berkeman and jim mcnamara
It looks to me like a way to use less words.
The last case: "differential deaths were actually observed ... between the released and recaptured groups" seems to mean the same thing as "the difference in deaths were actually observed ... between the released and recaptured groups".

Saves a word or two, might also sound better to some people (philosophers?).
Could be like a style of writing.

@hutchphd gave a pretty darn good explanation.
For a chart and explanation:
See: https://www.difference.wiki/difference-vs-differential/

...and getting a good clear definition for the way scientists use ordinary words is a big help. Scientists are unaware they do NOT communicate to everyone else at all well many times, the word "believe" as used by @hutchphd above can be an example.

Helen Quinn in Science a while back, on whence the confusion:

https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/March07/Quinn/Quinn.html

• Informative
Likes berkeman
12john said:
Homework Statement:: I don't understand the differences between 'differential' and 'different' as adjectives in the quotations below.
Relevant Equations:: N/A.

Are these books using 'differential' correctly? Why not just write 'different'?
I can understand the first two usages of differential.

But not for the last, ie " differential deaths"

The third and fourth usage "differential extinction causes ... differential perpetuation ... " is confusing, but that author is using a quote from another source, so that may be problematic, unless one has access to the source to query the context.

In all cases, "differential X" means the difference between two measures of X that come from different circumstances. One may read of "differential pay scales" for different groups of workers (often in reference to an unjustified difference).
Whether it is to be considered a genuine adjective or an adjectival noun here is moot. E.g. one can also write of a "pay differential", making differential the noun and pay an adjectival noun.

Likes hutchphd
BillTre said:
The last case: "differential deaths were actually observed ... between the released and recaptured groups" seems to mean the same thing as "the difference in deaths were actually observed ... between the released and recaptured groups".
The use of differential here implies that the authors are referring to the number of deaths. The phrase difference in deaths could be interpreted as referring to the manner by which death occurred.

I think differential relates to the comparison of the magnitude of a parameter associated with similar objects or processes. It has it's basis in subtraction of comparable things.

Different is simply an expression of lack of sameness; i.e. not comparable.

It doesn't make sense to speak of a differential of different things.

Hammers are different than apples. A group of apples can have differential rates of decay. OTOH, hammers and apples can have a differential rate of cooling, because the common thing is temperature. So, context also matters. "Differential" should include a qualifier to indicate what's being compared, that's usually not necessary with "different".

Likes berkeman

1. Why is "differential" used as an adjective in biology textbooks?

In biology, the term "differential" is often used to describe the comparison of two or more different conditions or groups. This adjective is used to emphasize the differences between these conditions or groups, and is commonly used when discussing experiments or observations.

2. Is there a specific reason why "differential" is used instead of other adjectives?

The use of "differential" in biology textbooks is a convention that has been established over time. It is a concise and descriptive term that is commonly understood by scientists and students in the field of biology.

3. Can "differential" be used in other contexts besides biology?

Yes, the term "differential" can be used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. In these contexts, it is used to describe the comparison or change between two or more variables or conditions.

4. Are there any alternatives to using "differential" in biology textbooks?

While "differential" is the most commonly used term in biology textbooks, there are other adjectives that can be used to convey a similar meaning. These include "distinct," "distinguishing," or "contrasting."

5. How does the use of "differential" impact the understanding of biology concepts?

The use of "differential" in biology textbooks helps to highlight and clarify the differences between various conditions or groups being studied. It allows for a more precise and accurate description of experimental results and observations, leading to a better understanding of biological concepts.