Why do water heaters need an anode?

In summary, water heaters often have anodes to protect the tank from galvanic corrosion. This type of corrosion is caused by small electrical currents, and the anode serves as a source for the current so that it is eaten instead of the tank. Zinc is commonly used as an anode, but aluminum can also be effective. The US Navy uses zinc anodes extensively as part of their Preventive Maintenance System. For health concerns, zinc anodes are preferred over aluminum anodes.
TSN79
I've read about water heaters needing anodes, but I don't really understand why. The objective is that the anode should protect the tank by "attracting" corrosion, isn't that right? But aren't water heaters usually made of stainless steel anyway? Around here most water heaters don't have an anode, and if they do it's considered a special case, like if the water contains salt, which I guess attacks the tank even if it is stainless steel...? I also read that the anode is sometimes made of aluminium, which doesn't even corrode in the first place - how does that work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
All corrosions are not alike. Galvanic corrosion is caused by small electrical currents. The sacrificial anode doesn't attract corrosion, it serves as a source for the current so that it is eaten rather than the tank. We sacrifice the anode instead of the tank. Zinc is an excellent anode, but aluminum is also good.This article explains more.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

The USN has zinc anodes all over the place. Inspecting and renewing them is part of the Preventive Maintenance System.

(Yeah, PMS.)

Likes BillTre
Noisy Rhysling said:
The USN has zinc anodes all over the place. Inspecting and renewing them is part of the Preventive Maintenance System.

(Yeah, PMS.)
So does that mean the maintenance techs get cranky?

Likes Tom.G and anorlunda
phinds said:
So does that mean the maintenance techs get cranky?
No. Just cranked.

We've already done the good jokes, folks. :wink:

For health concerns, I'd go with zinc anodes way before aluminium anodes.

Davorito said:
For health concerns, I'd go with zinc anodes way before aluminium anodes.
Expand on that?

Likes Tom.G

1. Why do water heaters need an anode?

Water heaters need an anode to prevent corrosion of the tank and extend the lifespan of the water heater. The anode attracts corrosive elements in the water, sacrificing itself to protect the tank.

2. How does an anode prevent corrosion in water heaters?

An anode is made of a more active metal than the tank, such as aluminum or magnesium. This causes it to corrode first, protecting the tank from corrosion.

3. Do all water heaters need an anode?

No, not all water heaters need an anode. Some newer models are made with materials that are resistant to corrosion, eliminating the need for an anode.

4. How often should the anode in a water heater be replaced?

The anode in a water heater should be replaced every 3-5 years, depending on the quality of the water and the size of the anode. Regular replacement ensures that the tank remains protected from corrosion.

5. Can I replace the anode in my water heater myself?

Yes, the anode in a water heater can be replaced by a homeowner with some basic plumbing knowledge. However, it is recommended to have a professional replace the anode to ensure it is done correctly and safely.