Why do we feel the need to type in all caps for acronyms?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
In summary: Runt" for short.In summary, a car with the acronym RCAP was initially named "Chirped Raman Adiabatic Passage", but the name was changed because it sounded like the sport "Runt".
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Wawa and Petawawa imply the existence of Kilowawa, Megawawa, Gigawawa and Terawawa.
Wawa.png

Only 9h17m? That's 312,000,000,000 wawas per hour!

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, dextercioby and hmmm27
Science news on Phys.org
I originally used a linear scale instead of logarithmic, but that put exawawa out beyond Earth's geosynch orbit. And my screen is only 1600 pixels wide.

I don't think Wawa has any stores in Canada, though.

I once read somewhere that when Ford started selling cars in Russia, their Russian manuals had the advice (back-translated into English) to always wash their cars with soap made from elephant tusks.

And Chevrolet had trouble selling its Nova models (in the 1970s or whenever) in Spanish-speaking countries because in Spanish, "no va" = "it doesn't go".

DaveC426913 said:
Wawa and Petawawa imply the existence of Kilowawa, Megawawa, Gigawawa and Terawawa.View attachment 320460

Only 9h17m? That's 312,000,000,000 wawas per hour!
What about Wawanesa?

jtbell said:
And Chevrolet had trouble selling its Nova models (in the 1970s or whenever) in Spanish-speaking countries because in Spanish, "no va" = "it doesn't go".
I had heard (and believed) that before but it doesn't appear to be true:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/chevrolet-nova-name-spanish/

the phrase "no va" (literally "doesn't go") and the word "nova" are distinct entities with different pronunciations in Spanish: the former is two words and is pronounced with the accent on the second word; the latter is one word with the accent on the first syllable. Assuming that Spanish speakers would naturally see the word "nova" as equivalent to the phrase "no va" and think "Hey, this car doesn't go!" is akin to assuming that English speakers would spurn a dinette set sold under the name Notable because nobody wants a dinette set that doesn't include a table.
Or, a business that is "not able". :oldtongue:

All I can think about while reading these jokes is:

Likes BillTre
jtbell said:
As Borg notes this one isn't true. However, the Mitsubishi Pajero is marketed as the Montero in at least some Spanish speaking countries because pajero would be blocked by PF's content filter if I translated it into English (edit: I tested, and apparently the content filter is too US-centric to care, but I'll refrain from translating anyway).

I gather Spanish profanity can be quite regional, and I guess they checked if the name meant anything to (e.g.) Mexicans but never asked any Spanish people.

As car names go, this is the funny one for French Canadian:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_LaCrosse#North_America said:
This generation of LaCrosse was sold in Canada as the Buick Allure, as the verb crosser is a French Canadian vulgarity that can mean either "masturbation" or "scam".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buick_LaCrosse#Canadian_market:_Allure said:
The 2nd generation LaCrosse debuted to the Canadian market at the 2009 Montreal International Auto Show as the Buick Allure, and soon after production began, General Motors Canada renamed the Allure to LaCrosse, to correspond with the car's global marketing. GM Canada has offered existing Allure owners the option to change nameplates to LaCrosse.
An appropriate translation to get the feeling, just imagine a car named TheF**k.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, BillTre, jack action and 1 other person
jack action said:
As car names go, this is the funny one for French Canadian:An appropriate translation to get the feeling, just imagine a car named TheF**k.
The thing is that it also sounds like the sport, so not everyone immediately makes the association with the "bad" meaning.

I wanted to name a work project "Fairly Loose Operational Procedures" but that didn't go over well.

Likes mathhabibi and jack action
DrClaude said:
The thing is that it also sounds like the sport, so not everyone immediately makes the association with the "bad" meaning.
The problem is the same with the sport: Really difficult to say you play that game without having one person imagining you in an X-rated activity.

Another great acronym that I read about today - some republican congressmen from New York introduced the “Stopping Another Non-Truthful Office Seeker” (SANTOS) Act.

Scarlett Heights Institute of Technology shrewdly changed its name to Scarlett Heights Technological Institute.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, jack action and pinball1970
DaveC426913 said:
Scarlett Heights Institute of Technology shrewdly changed its name to Scarlett Heights Technological Institute.
"and all I got was this lousy tee shirt"

• Haha
Likes berkeman
NBS floated "NITS" for the four letter acronym in the eighties...did not go over too well with the employees.

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913, jack action and Mark44
DrGreg said:
The stationery retailer Pen Island has a similar problem with the name of its website.
I was gonna bring that one up.

tortoise.jpg

Likes mathhabibi
Here are some terrible ones

What do you call a world-renowned linguist? A figure of speech
What language should the linguist end with? Finnish

Likes jack action
Not a joke, just a quirk.

During my data entry tasks, I frequently type in a series of acronyms, all in caps, separated by spaces.
I am compelled to unshift whenever I type the space, I guess lest I accidentally enter a 'capital space' in the database.

<SHIFT>NOTFP:<UNSHIFT><SPACE><SHIFT>PMH<UNSHIFT?

It's pointless, it even slows me down, but I can't break the habit.

1. Why do we use all caps for acronyms?

Acronyms are often used to represent long or complex phrases, and using all caps makes them stand out and easier to recognize. It also helps differentiate them from regular words in a sentence.

2. Is typing in all caps for acronyms just a habit or is there a scientific reason behind it?

There is a scientific reason behind using all caps for acronyms. Studies have shown that using all caps for acronyms can improve readability and recognition, especially for those with visual impairments.

3. Does typing in all caps for acronyms have any impact on the brain?

Yes, typing in all caps for acronyms can have a positive impact on the brain. It helps the brain process the information more efficiently and makes it easier to remember and recall the acronym in the future.

4. Are there any other benefits to using all caps for acronyms?

Aside from improving readability and recognition, using all caps for acronyms also helps maintain consistency and uniformity in written communication. It also saves time and space, especially in digital platforms where character limits are a concern.

5. Are there any situations where using all caps for acronyms is not appropriate?

While using all caps for acronyms is generally accepted and preferred, there are certain situations where it may not be appropriate. For example, in formal or professional writing, it is best to follow the style guide or convention of the specific field or organization.