Why do we have fast convergence?

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convergence
In summary, the exponential function with a negative exponent leads to fast convergence of the series, except for small values of $t$ or $a^2$. This allows us to use only a few terms of the series to get exact results. Additionally, just because $a_n\to 0$, does not necessarily mean that $\sum a_n$ converges. The series $\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1n e^{-n^2}\sin(nx)$ converges, and the remainder is reduced faster due to the presence of $e^{-n^2}$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that we have $u(x,t)= \frac{80}{\pi} \sum_{n=1,3,5, \dots}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2 a^2 t}{2500}} \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{50}}$.

According to my notes, the negative exponential factor at each term of the series has as a result the fast convergence of the series except for small values of $t$ or of $a^2$. So we can have exact results using usually only some of the first terms of the series.

Could you explain me the above? Why does it hold?

I thought that we have that if $\sum a_n$ converges then $a_n \to 0$ but the converse does not hold...

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

Suppose that we have $u(x,t)= \frac{80}{\pi} \sum_{n=1,3,5, \dots}^{\infty} \frac{1}{n} e^{-\frac{n^2 \pi^2 a^2 t}{2500}} \sin{\frac{n \pi x}{50}}$.

According to my notes, the negative exponential factor at each term of the series has as a result the fast convergence of the series except for small values of $t$ or of $a^2$. So we can have exact results using usually only some of the first terms of the series.

Could you explain me the above? Why does it hold?

I thought that we have that if $\sum a_n$ converges then $a_n \to 0$ but the converse does not hold...

Hey evinda! (Smile)

The exponential function with a negative exponent is known to converge extremely fast.
And indeed, just because $a_n\to 0$, does not mean that $\sum a_n$ converges.

More to the point, we have:
$$
\left|\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1n e^{-n^2}\sin(nx)\right| \le \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1n e^{-n^2}|\sin(nx)| < \sum_{n=1}^\infty e^{-n^2} < \sum_{n=1}^\infty e^{-n}
= \frac{e^{-1}}{1-e^{-1}} = \frac{1}{e-1}
$$
So we can see that the series converges.We also have:
$$\sum_{n=1}^\infty e^{-n} = \sum_{n=1}^k e^{-n} + R_k
$$
where the remainder $R_k$ is:
$$R_k=\sum_{n=k+1}^k e^{-n} = \frac{e^{-(k+1)}}{1-e^{-1}}
$$
So the remainder for this upper bound is reduced by a factor of $e \approx 2.7$ with every additional term.
And since we actually have $e^{-n^2}$, the remainder is reduced faster.

Last edited:
I like Serena said:
$$
\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac 1n e^{-n^2}\sin(nx) < \sum_{n=1}^\infty e^{-n^2} < \sum_{n=1}^\infty e^{-n}
= \frac{e^{-1}}{1-e^{-1}} = \frac{1}{e-1}
$$

Shouldn't there be absolute value bars around $\sin(nx)$?

Euge said:
Shouldn't there be absolute value bars around $\sin(nx)$?

Yep. Added.

Related to Why do we have fast convergence?

1. Why does fast convergence matter in scientific research?

Fast convergence is important in scientific research because it allows us to reach accurate and precise results in a shorter amount of time. This is especially crucial in fields such as medicine, where time can be a matter of life or death.

2. What factors contribute to fast convergence?

There are several factors that can contribute to fast convergence, including the complexity of the problem, the quality of the data, and the efficiency of the chosen algorithm or method. Additionally, the expertise and experience of the researcher can also play a role in achieving fast convergence.

3. How can fast convergence be achieved in a research study?

To achieve fast convergence in a research study, it is important to carefully select a suitable algorithm or method that is efficient and well-suited for the problem at hand. Additionally, using high-quality data and having a clear understanding of the research objectives can also help in achieving fast convergence.

4. Are there any drawbacks to fast convergence?

While fast convergence can be beneficial in scientific research, it is important to note that it can also have some drawbacks. For example, using overly simplified models or algorithms may result in faster convergence but at the cost of accuracy and reliability of the results.

5. How can fast convergence impact the validity of research findings?

The speed at which convergence is achieved can impact the validity of research findings. If fast convergence is prioritized over accuracy, the results may be less reliable and may not accurately reflect the true nature of the problem being studied. Therefore, it is important for researchers to carefully balance speed and accuracy in order to ensure the validity of their findings.