Why Do We Include Coriolis Acceleration in Motion Equations?

In summary, the absolute acceleration of an object in an inertial frame of reference is a combination of the acceleration measured in a non-inertial frame and the acceleration of the frame itself. The coriolis acceleration, which is a result of a rotating frame, is just one type of acceleration that can occur in a non-inertial frame. In contrast, the acceleration in a linearly accelerating frame is accounted for by the aI term in the equation of motion.
zezima1
Let aS denote the acceleration of an object as measured in a reference frame S that accelerates relative to another reference frame with an acceleration aI. We then have that the absolute acceleration of the object as measured in an inertial frame of reference is given by:
a = aS + aI + aC
where a is the socalled coriolis acceleration, which I have a lot of trouble getting around. Can anyone give me some intuition on why you add this term other than the mathematics behind it. For me you could just as well add the accelerations like you add velocities but then of course, I don't really know if I have a lot of intuition as to how acceleration behaves as seen from different frames of reference.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that there is a big difference between a reference frame that is "accelerating", which suggests a spatially fixed acceleration throughout, and one that is "noninertial", which allows the acceleration to vary with location. The classic example of a noninertial frame is a rotating frame, which is a frame in which you will see things like coriolis and centrifugal accelerations. These accelerations are not everywhere the same in either magnitude or direction, so are both to be distinguished from simple translational accelerations of the entire frame. In practice, the only accelerating frames you need to understand are those with a spatially fixed acceleration (if the observer is accelerating) and those that are rotating (if the observer is rotating). That's all an observer can (instantaneously) be doing that would affect Newton's laws.

okay but if the coriolis acceleration is only something which occurs in a rotating frame, why don't the equations of motion account for the fictitous forces that occur in a linearly accelerated frame - e.g. being pushed back in a car etc.

They do, that's the aI in your original expression-- but that kind of force is not called the coriolis force.

I can provide a response to the concept of coriolis acceleration. First, it is important to understand that the coriolis acceleration is a fictitious force that appears to act on objects in a rotating reference frame. It is not a real force, but rather a mathematical construct that helps us describe and understand the behavior of objects in rotating systems.

To understand why we add the coriolis acceleration term in the equation, it is helpful to consider an example. Imagine a person standing on a rotating turntable. From their perspective, they are not moving and there is no acceleration. However, from an outside reference frame, we can see that the person is actually accelerating towards the center of the turntable. This acceleration is caused by the rotation of the turntable, and it is what we call the coriolis acceleration.

In the equation provided, aS represents the acceleration measured by an observer in a non-inertial (accelerating) reference frame, while aI represents the acceleration of that reference frame itself. The coriolis acceleration term, aC, is added to account for the additional acceleration caused by the rotation of the reference frame.

In essence, the coriolis acceleration is a way to account for the fact that an object's motion appears different when viewed from different reference frames. It is necessary to include this term in the equation in order to accurately describe the motion of objects in rotating systems.

I hope this provides some intuition on why we add the coriolis acceleration term in the equation. It may seem counterintuitive at first, but it is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of objects in rotating systems.

Related to Why Do We Include Coriolis Acceleration in Motion Equations?

1. What is the Coriolis acceleration?

The Coriolis acceleration is an apparent acceleration that occurs due to the rotation of the Earth. It is a result of the Coriolis effect, which causes objects moving on the Earth's surface to appear to veer off course.

2. How does the Coriolis acceleration affect weather patterns?

The Coriolis acceleration plays a significant role in the formation of weather patterns. It causes air masses to rotate in a cyclonic or anticyclonic motion, leading to the creation of low and high-pressure systems. This, in turn, affects wind patterns and the direction of storms.

3. Is the Coriolis acceleration the same at all latitudes?

No, the Coriolis acceleration varies with latitude. The effect is strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator. This is because the Earth's rotational speed is faster at the equator compared to the poles, leading to a greater Coriolis force.

4. Can the Coriolis acceleration affect the trajectory of objects on Earth?

Yes, the Coriolis acceleration can affect the trajectory of objects on Earth. For example, it causes the path of projectiles to curve to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern hemisphere. This is known as the Coriolis effect and is also responsible for the rotation of hurricanes and cyclones.

5. How is the Coriolis acceleration calculated?

The Coriolis acceleration can be calculated using the Coriolis force equation, which takes into account the object's velocity, the Earth's rotation rate, and the latitude of the object's location. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the Coriolis parameter, which is a measure of the Earth's rotation rate and latitude.