Why do we need postulate 4 in Euclid's element (P14)?

• Thread starter chemistry1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary, proposition 14 of Euclid's elements discusses the use of postulate 4 to prove that the sum of angles CBA and ABE is equal to the sum of angles CBA and ABD. This postulate is necessary because Euclid's definition of a right angle is a geometrical construction, and common notion 1, which states that things equal to the same thing are equal to one another, cannot be directly applied in this situation. Without postulate 4, there would be errors in the proof.
chemistry1
http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookI/propI14.html

Hi, I was reading proposition 14 of Euclid's elements and there is only one thing which I find weird : why do we need postulate 4 to conclude that " the sum of the angles CBA and ABE equals the sum of the angles CBA and ABD."

Why can't we just use common notion 1 ? It seems useless to me to use the postulate...

Thank you !

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Euclid's definition of a right angle (definition 10) is a geometrical construction. You can't prove that right angles constructed at different positions are equal, so you need postulate 4 to say they are equal.

In modern notation, common notion 1 says "if x = a and y = a, then x = y". In the figure for proposition 14, if you call CBA+ABE x and CBA+ABD y, you don't have anything that corresponds to "a" in common notion 1.

Even if you constructed two more right angles somewhere in the figure and called then "a", you still need postulate 4 to say that x = a and y = a. But Euclid used postulate 4 directly to say that x = y.

AlephZero said:
Euclid's definition of a right angle (definition 10) is a geometrical construction. You can't prove that right angles constructed at different positions are equal, so you need postulate 4 to say they are equal.

In modern notation, common notion 1 says "if x = a and y = a, then x = y". In the figure for proposition 14, if you call CBA+ABE x and CBA+ABD y, you don't have anything that corresponds to "a" in common notion 1.

Even if you constructed two more right angles somewhere in the figure and called then "a", you still need postulate 4 to say that x = a and y = a. But Euclid used postulate 4 directly to say that x = y.

I don't think I understand your explanation... Didn't Euclid "prove" with proposition 13 that the sum of two angles were equal to two right angles ? And that we begin the demonstration assuming that the sum of the angle CBA and ABD were equal to two right angles ? What role does postulate 4 play here if I want to make things which equal the same thing equal one another ? What errors would I get if I just applied common notion 1 ?Thank you again for your help!

1. Who is Euclid and what are the Elements?

Euclid was a Greek mathematician who lived around 300 BC. The Elements is a mathematical treatise consisting of 13 books written by Euclid, which laid the foundation for modern mathematics and geometry.

2. What is P14 in Euclid's Elements?

P14, also known as Proposition 14, is one of the propositions in Book I of Euclid's Elements. It states that if two triangles have two sides equal to two sides respectively, and have the angles contained by the equal straight lines equal, then the two triangles are congruent.

3. Why is P14 important?

P14 is important because it is one of the fundamental propositions in Euclid's Elements. It is the basis for constructing geometric proofs and establishing congruence between triangles.

4. What is the significance of Euclid's Elements?

Euclid's Elements is significant because it is one of the most influential works in the history of mathematics. It is the earliest known systematic and comprehensive treatise on mathematics and has been used as a textbook for over 2000 years.

5. How did Euclid prove P14?

Euclid proved P14 using the method of superposition, which involves placing two congruent figures on top of each other to show that they are identical. He also used other axioms and postulates from the Elements, such as the side-angle-side (SAS) congruence criterion.