Why do we need values greater than 90 degrees?

• B
  • Thread starter Frigus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degrees
In summary: If so, you may need to study some applications of trigonometry in physics, engineering, and other fields. In summary, the conversation discusses assigning values greater than 90 to trigonometric functions and how this is possible even when dealing with angles greater than 120. This is because trigonometric functions can be generalized to the full circle, rather than just right triangles, and are useful for modeling repetitive phenomena in various fields.
Frigus
I can't understand how can we assign values greater than 90 to trigonometric functions as right angle triangle can't exist if one angle is more than 90 degree. For example if I say sin 30 according to me it means that ratio of perpendicular and hypotenuse is 1/2 at 30 degree but how can we say something like this in angles greater than 120.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
This is because we do not consider only (right) triangles, but the full circle instead which we divide into degrees. E.g. look at a compass and how pilots and captains measure their direction. And even in triangles, there are triangles with angles greater than 90° or 120°, and we also consider the outer angles, the complementary angles to the inner ones.

Hemant said:
I can't understand how can we assign values greater than 90 to trigonometric functions as right angle triangle can't exist if one angle is more than 90 degree. For example if I say sin 30 according to me it means that ratio of perpendicular and hypotenuse is 1/2 at 30 degree but how can we say something like this in angles greater than 120.

It's called a generalisation. Imagine the unit circle and start with your right-angle triangle in the first quadrant. You notice that:

##x = \cos \theta \ ## and ##y = \sin \theta##

As you continue round the circle, you could extend your definition of sine and cosine by taking these equations to define ##\sin \theta## and ##\cos \theta##.

And then you have something even more useful than restricting yourself to angles less than ##\pi/2##.

You can even define a full coordinate system, polar coordinates, using sin, cos.

IF you are only using the "trig functions" on right triangles then there is no reason to use angles greater than 90 degrees. But generalizations of the trig functions (sometimes renamed "circular functions") are very useful as "periodic functions" modeling repetitive phenomena. As functions, we want them defined for all real numbers.

Likes SammyS
Hemant said:
I can't understand how can we assign values greater than 90 to trigonometric functions as right angle triangle can't exist if one angle is more than 90 degree.

Have you studied trigonometry as it is defined using the unit circle? If so, you understand how it is done. Perhaps your question is why it is done. Do you want to know why defining the trigonometric functions for all angles is useful?

1. Why can't we just use angles less than 90 degrees?

Angles greater than 90 degrees are necessary in certain situations because they allow us to measure and describe angles that are larger than a right angle. For example, in geometry and trigonometry, angles greater than 90 degrees are used to calculate and describe obtuse and reflex angles.

2. What real-life applications require angles greater than 90 degrees?

Angles greater than 90 degrees are commonly used in navigation, engineering, and architecture. In navigation, angles greater than 90 degrees are used to measure bearings and headings. In engineering and architecture, angles greater than 90 degrees are used to design structures and determine the direction and force of forces acting on them.

3. Can't we just use negative angles instead of angles greater than 90 degrees?

Negative angles are used to describe angles that are less than 0 degrees, but they cannot accurately represent angles greater than 90 degrees. Negative angles are also not commonly used in real-life applications, making it more practical to use angles greater than 90 degrees.

4. How do angles greater than 90 degrees relate to circles and radians?

In a circle, there are 360 degrees or 2π radians. Angles greater than 90 degrees can be converted to radians by multiplying the degree measure by π/180. For example, an angle of 180 degrees is equal to π radians, and an angle of 270 degrees is equal to 3π/2 radians.

5. Are there any special properties or rules for angles greater than 90 degrees?

Angles greater than 90 degrees follow the same basic properties and rules as angles less than 90 degrees. However, in some cases, they may require different formulas or calculations. For example, the sine, cosine, and tangent functions are defined differently for angles greater than 90 degrees.