Why does a parallelizable manifold imply zero Riemann tensor?

• I
  • Thread starter Silviu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, a parallelizable manifold does not necessarily imply a zero Riemann tensor. It is possible to define a connection on a parallelizable manifold such that the resulting Riemann tensor is zero, but this does not hold for every connection. The key factor is the definition of the connection and its corresponding curvature tensor, which can vary depending on the chosen connection.
Silviu
Hello! Can someone explain to me why does a parallelizable manifold implies zero Riemann tensor? In the book I read this is mentioned but not proved. This would imply that parallel-transporting a vector would be path independent. But I am not sure how to show it. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Parallelizable does not imply zero Riemann tensor; Parallelizable implies that it is possible to define a connection such that the resulting Riemann tensor is zero.

Silviu said:
Hello! Can someone explain to me why does a parallelizable manifold implies zero Riemann tensor? In the book I read this is mentioned but not proved. This would imply that parallel-transporting a vector would be path independent. But I am not sure how to show it. Thank you!

Look at what your book says again.

A closed flat Riemannian manifold can not be simply connected. A fundamental theorem says that its fundamental group must contain a subgroup isomorphic to ##Z^{n}##. So in fact, any parallizable closed manifold with a finite fundamental group e.g. ##S^3## and ##RP^3## can never be made flat.

But this is far from the whole story. For instance every orientable closed 3 manifold is parallelizable.

The fundamental group of a closed flat Riemannian manifold has a special structure.

It is an extension of an n-dimensional free abelian group by a finite group

##0→Z^{n}→π_{1}(M)→G→1##

and has no elements of finite order. For instance, for a torus ##G## is the trivial group.

- There are parallelizable flat Riemannian manifolds that are not tori. For them parallel translation of vectors around closed loops depends upon the homotopy class of the loop..

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
lavinia said:
Look at what you book says again.

A closed flat Riemannian manifold can not be simply connected. A fundamental theorem says that its fundamental group must contain a subgroup isomorphic to ##Z^{n}##. So in fact, any parallizable closed manifold with a finite fundamental group e.g. ##S^3## and ##RP^3## can never be made flat.

But this is far from the whole story. For instance every orientable closed 3 manifold is parallelizable.

The fundamental group of a closed flat Riemannian manifold has a special structure.

It is an extension of an n-dimensional free abelian group by a finite group

##0→Z^{n}→π_{1}(M)→G→1##

and has no elements of finite order. For instance, for a torus ##G## is the trivial group.

- There are parallelizable flat Riemannian manifolds that are not tori. For them parallel translation of vectors around closed loops depends upon the homotopy class of the loop..
Thank you for your reply. However I am a bit confused. I attached the part of my book that I took this from (it is from Nakahara, Geometry Topology and Physics). As far as I understand, parallelizable manifold, implies zero Riemann tensor. Could you please explain this to me a bit further (i.e. what am I reading wrong)?

Attachments

• Differential Geometry.png
    Differential Geometry.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 633
I will have to think about what the book is saying.

What I said is correct. I am assuming a Levi-Civita connection and your book is not. That has to be what is going on.

The key passage is:
A vector ##V_p \in T_pM## is defined to be parallel to ##V_q \in T_qM## if ...
This defines the connection and therefore the curvature tensor. There is no a priori reason why this connection should be the Levi-Civita connection or even a metric compatible connection.

Likes lavinia
Orodruin said:
The key passage is:

This defines the connection and therefore the curvature tensor. There is no a priori reason why this connection should be the Levi-Civita connection or even a metric compatible connection.
Oh, I misunderstood this. So by this they mean that by parallel transporting a vector between 2 points, you keep it having the same coordinates in the respective tangent planes. I thought that this is a general property of a parallelizable manifold (i.e. independent of connection). Thank you!

1. What is a parallelizable manifold?

A parallelizable manifold is a type of smooth manifold that has a vector field defined on it which is everywhere linearly independent. This means that the tangent bundle of the manifold is trivial, allowing for smooth parallel transport of vectors along any path on the manifold.

2. What is the significance of parallelizable manifolds?

Parallelizable manifolds are important in differential geometry and physics as they provide a mathematical framework for studying the behavior of vector fields and their transformations on curved spaces. They also have applications in the theory of Lie groups and fiber bundles.

3. How are parallelizable manifolds used in physics?

Parallelizable manifolds are used in physics to study the behavior of physical systems in curved spacetime. For example, they are used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime and in gauge theories to describe the behavior of fields on curved manifolds.

4. Can all manifolds be parallelizable?

No, not all manifolds can be parallelizable. In fact, it has been proven that there are only a finite number of parallelizable manifolds in each dimension. In general, compact manifolds are more likely to be parallelizable than non-compact manifolds.

5. Are parallelizable manifolds only relevant in higher dimensions?

No, parallelizable manifolds are relevant in all dimensions. However, their importance increases with higher dimensions as the complexity of studying vector fields on curved spaces also increases. In two or three dimensions, many manifolds are automatically parallelizable, making them less significant in those cases.