Why does barometric pressure differ from measured pressure?

In summary, barometric pressure refers to the pressure exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere, while measured pressure is the pressure measured by a device such as a barometer. Barometric pressure differs from measured pressure due to variations in altitude, temperature, and humidity, which can affect the density of the air and thus the pressure. Additionally, local weather conditions and the movement of air masses can also cause fluctuations in barometric pressure, making it different from the measured pressure at a specific location.
mfig
I live in Denver CO, and I have come across a mystery having to do with barometric pressure. If you go look at any weather site, like:

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=denver+co

You will see the local pressure (at the time of this writing) is listed as 30.33 inches of Hg, which is 14.89 psi. However, I have a brand new certified absolute pressure transducer that shows the local pressure is 11.85 psi. Also, if you look at how pressure is supposed to vary with altitude, such as at this site:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

You can verify that the predicted pressure at Denver (5300 ft elevation) is around 11.9 psi. This is much closer to the pressure I measured with the pressure transducer. The difference is small and can probably be explained away due to local variations, temperature and humidity effects, etc.

But if you think this is a single anomaly, think again. I first noticed this in July when the weather was hot. I have observed this over and over the past few months in different conditions. The weather pages consistently give values around 29-31 inHg, which is far higher than I have ever measured with my PT.

So my question is, why the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only explanation that comes to my mind is that those general weather sides may calculate their numbers by large scale weather pattern and don't take the special height situation in Denver into account. Would be interesting to know whether you can find similar discrepancies for let's say Santa Fe or Salt Lake.

For purposes of drawing weather map charts local elevation is ignored.
The pressure shown is the equivalent sea level pressure.
The reason for that is because we can then draw isobars on the map which indicate weather systems.
If actual pressure at elevation were used, mountainous areas would appear to have a permanent low pressure systems with the associated poor weather conditions.
If actual pressure were used instead of sea level equivalent then a major storm at sea level would look like a trivial weather feature when compared to a mountain range.

Likes russ_watters and billy_joule
I believe for the purposes of weather reports they usually scale the values to their sea level "equivalents" so the same barometric pressure means high or low independent of altitude. A quick Google search ought to clear that up.

rootone said:
For purposes of drawing weather map charts local elevation is ignored.
The pressure shown is the equivalent sea level pressure.
This makes sense. However, if you display local weather conditions as on the side spamanon has mentioned, in this case for Denver including the height given, it's a poor service. And they didn't even explained their data - at least at first sight. Just the number and unit. Funny is that I get the pressure in hPa, snow in cm and temperature in °C. If they can transform the units it would be no big deal to adjust the pressure to the heigth (also given in m!).

Thanks, everyone.

1. Why does barometric pressure change?

Barometric pressure, also known as atmospheric pressure, is the weight of the air above a particular location. It changes due to variations in temperature, humidity, and air density.

2. How does barometric pressure affect the weather?

Changes in barometric pressure can indicate changes in weather conditions. A decrease in pressure typically indicates bad weather, while an increase in pressure usually signals fair weather.

3. Why does barometric pressure differ from one location to another?

The barometric pressure can differ from one location to another due to differences in elevation and weather patterns. Higher elevations typically have lower pressure, while lower elevations have higher pressure. Weather patterns also affect pressure, with areas of high and low pressure moving and changing over time.

4. What is the unit of measurement for barometric pressure?

The unit of measurement for barometric pressure is typically in either millibars (mb) or inches of mercury (inHg). Millibars are the standard unit used by meteorologists, while inches of mercury is commonly used in the United States.

5. How is barometric pressure measured?

Barometric pressure is measured using a device called a barometer. There are two main types of barometers: mercury and aneroid. Mercury barometers measure pressure by the height of a column of mercury, while aneroid barometers use a sealed chamber with a flexible metal diaphragm to measure changes in pressure.