Why does Cd increase until Mach1 while drag force increases?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Mach number and drag force on a grid fin at different altitudes. It is observed that as the fin approaches Mach 1, drag force increases, but after passing Mach 1, it starts to decrease. This is explained by the formation of shockwaves inside the lattice and the diversion of air away from the lattice. However, as the fin goes past Mach 1, the oblique angle increases, leading to a decrease in temperature and pressure drops, which in turn explains the decrease in drag coefficient. This may seem contradictory to the fact that drag force continues to increase with increasing Mach number, but it can be explained by the fact that drag force is proportional to the square of velocity, and if
AielloJ
When I was looking a project that included Mach vs Cd and Mach vs drag Force for a grid fin at different altitudes with different mach numbers, I saw that as Cd approached Mach 1, it increased but after passing Mach 1, it started to decrease but the drag force kept on increasing.

I initially thought that as it approaches trans sonic speed, shockwaves start to form inside the lattice (choked flow), which starts to create a little more drag. As it nears M1, a bow shock will form which would start diverting air away from the lattice and at the same time would create significant drag. A normal shock wave and oblique shockwave should form at this time, further increasing drag as speed increases and the bow shock eventually disappears. Yet as the fins start to go past M1, the oblique angle increases which would be associated with lower temp/pressure drops which would explain why the Cd decreases ? Wouldn't this contradict the Mach vs Force graph where the drag force keeps increasing?

This feels wrong but I did the best I could. I'd love to hear the flaws in this attempt.

Physics news on Phys.org
Drag force is proportional to ##V^2##, so it can keep increasing while ##C_d## remains constant or even decreases. In fact, if the real drag force does not increase as fast as ##V^2##, then ##C_d## must decrease to make the drag equation correct: ##D = C_d \frac {\rho V^2}{2}A##.

You may be correct about why the force increase does not keep up with ##V^2##, but ##V^2## grows very fast. It wouldn't surprise me if it's just that more of the plane becomes "shadowed" as the speed increases and the drag force does not keep up with ##V^2##.

1. Why does the drag coefficient increase until Mach 1?

The drag coefficient increases until Mach 1 because at this speed, the air molecules begin to compress and form shock waves around the object. This causes an increase in air resistance, resulting in a higher drag coefficient.

2. What is the relationship between Mach number and drag force?

The drag force increases with increasing Mach number until Mach 1, after which it decreases. This is because at subsonic speeds, the drag force is primarily due to friction between the object and the air molecules. However, at supersonic speeds, shock waves form and contribute significantly to the drag force.

3. How does the shape of an object affect the increase in Cd until Mach 1?

The shape of an object can greatly impact the increase in drag coefficient until Mach 1. Objects with a more streamlined shape, such as an airplane, will experience a smoother increase in drag coefficient compared to objects with a more blunt shape, such as a cube.

4. Does the material of an object affect the increase in Cd until Mach 1?

Yes, the material of an object can affect the increase in drag coefficient until Mach 1. Objects with a smooth and polished surface will experience a lower increase in drag coefficient compared to objects with a rough surface, as the roughness can create more turbulence and increase drag.

5. Is there a maximum limit for the drag coefficient at Mach 1?

Yes, there is a maximum limit for the drag coefficient at Mach 1, known as the critical Mach number. Beyond this point, the drag coefficient will decrease due to the formation of shock waves and the resulting decrease in air resistance. The value of the critical Mach number varies depending on the shape and material of the object.